Reomving 5th Zone Indirect Heat and installing a HPWH

Old 03-02-14, 07:35 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reomving 5th Zone Indirect Heat and installing a HPWH

Hi Guys,

I'm pulling my oil fired indirect water heater and installing a HPWH as I'm burning up to 1 gal/day to heat the DHW. I'm fine with the plumbing of the new HPWH, but have questions about removing the 5th zone from the boiler system.

Current system is Zone valve control with single circulator on the supply side. No ball valves on the supply side to isolate individual zones. I have ball valves on the return of each zone. The boiler run returns to the 1 1/4 line at the base of the boiler at a T.

When powered off will the zone valves stay closed? My plan is to isolate all zones as best as possible with all the ball valves. Then depressurize they system where I will be working (presuming the zone valves remain closed when powered of). I'll cut out all piping to the indirect heater, and install caps at the supply manifold and return associated with the water heating zone. I'll also pull all woring from the taco zone control relative to the water heating zone. Once done repressurize and fire back up.

Anything I'm missing here? I'm hoping the zone valves will keep each zone isolated while I work and I don't want to drain they entire system.

All help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Bryan

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-14, 09:01 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I'm hoping the zone valves will keep each zone isolated while I work and I don't want to drain they entire system.
You probably shouldn't rely on a zone valve for 100% isolation, but probably to do what you need to do they will hold 'well enough'.

As long as you can keep the pipes dry enough to solder... you know the least little bit of water will make them impossible to solder.

Old 03-02-14, 09:02 AM
S
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
B,
As long as there is no call for heat the zone valves will stay closed.
They are a positive shutoff so can act as a ball valve so to speak.
If you are unsure you can disconnect the the #1 wire from the zv's but it's not necessary.
Make sure your t-stats are turned all the way down.

Even though your boiler is off make sure the transformer or power source to the zone vales is also off and you'll be fine.

Good Luck,

Old 03-02-14, 09:11 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
They are a positive shutoff
I don't think so... I would give them maybe 98%.

you can disconnect the the #1 wire
If they're Taco zone valves.

System should of course be powered down, so there should be no reason to do this.

Even though your boiler is off make sure the transformer or power source to the zone vales is also off
If it's installed properly, one switch or circuit breaker should kill power to everything, but it is wise to check.