Adding in floor heat to baseboard heat boiler system

Old 03-05-14, 08:47 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding in floor heat to baseboard heat boiler system

Hello,

I have Boiler style radiant heat in my house and whilst doing a reno and repouring my garage floor (which has been made into a kids playroom) I had them put pipe in for infloor heat. And Ive been told you cannot just hook it up to the radiant system because it will be too hot.

So my question is with is just being a playroom if I just hooked it up and put it on a its own thermostate as its own run would it hurt anything or what would happen?

Advice pls?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-14, 10:22 AM
D
What type of pipe did they put in your floor when it was redone? Did they put in oxygen barrier Pex? Did they insulate under or the sides of the slab?

Old 03-05-14, 10:32 AM
J
Yes floor was insulated with 3 inch styro. Then 3.5 inches of concrete with orange plastic pipe that I was told was specifically for infloor heating. Cant remember what diameter the pipe was. The floor is basically a 500 square foot slab just shy of 300 foot of pipe was laid in it.

My question I guess more specifically is if I run 150 degree what through it will it be bad for the concrete floor or will it end up being WAY to hot for heating the room?

I cant afford to drop a couple grand getting a proper separate system put in for the floor heat with its own boiler or hot water heater for just that room. Its only a kids play room BUT it does cost me a small fortune to heat it with a little gas fireplace and fan that is currently in there as the only heat source.

So can I hook it into my current system running 150 degree water through it and see how it works without causing any damage or issues?

Old 03-05-14, 10:46 AM
D
I'm not an expert. Just a guy that hangs out here from time to time and learn from some of the pro's. I don't think that you will have to invest in another boiler, you probably just need to get the correct piping and controls set up.

NJ Trooper refers some people to this article for information regarding floor heating:A Little Floor Warming Please John Siegenthaler

I think you have to register to read it, but it is free.

Old 03-05-14, 11:57 AM
J
Thanks That was super helpful just need to get me a 3way mixing valve and Im set.