So Where is the Leaking Water?

Old 03-05-14, 09:18 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So Where is the Leaking Water?

Following the procedure in the "Sticky: Determining Hot Water Leakage Exists" seems to indicate that there's a real small leak in my indirect hot water heater. There's one missing thing though...a puddle of hot water on the floor. If there is in fact a real small leak, is it possible that the insulation around the tank is absorbing it and/or it's evaporating before it can reach the floor? And if in fact there is a real small leak which at the moment does not seem like a very big deal, can it become a major catastrophic leak at any time? The indirect water heater is a 30 gallon Super Stor (receipt date of September of 1990).

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-14, 09:34 AM
S
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Fly,
What makes you think there's a leak at all.

Old 03-05-14, 09:49 AM
F
Water meter "half foot dial" movement stops when water supply to indirect water heater is shut off. This is one of the tests in the "Sticky" post that I mentioned.

Old 03-05-14, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
If it was internal to the indirect then your boiler pressure would rise and the relief valve would be spewing water out...

Are you on a slab? If on a slab I would lean toward a slab leak. That is is your meter movement assessment is true...

Welcome to the forums...

Old 03-05-14, 01:34 PM
S
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
Are you sure it's not a dripping hot water faucet somewhere.

Old 03-05-14, 05:51 PM
F
No slab. Full basement. I can see all piping except where pipes go through walls. Open ceiling in basement...exposed floor joists. No boiler pressure rise or relief valve spewing. Faucets aren't leaking.

Maybe that test doesn't work but it makes sense. If nothing in the house is using water than the "test dial" on the water meter should not be moving. If it is moving (in my case you have to watch it for 1-2 minutes to see it) than water is going somewhere.

Also, outer polyethylene jacket on Super Stor tank is opening up along the vertical seam where the two ends of the jacket meet. Thought this was just benign jacket failure (and maybe it is) but might have something to do with water leakage.

Old 03-05-14, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Which way is the meter moving? Thermal expansion from the water heater pushing back to the street?

If not and the meter is moving there is a leak then.....

Old 03-05-14, 06:21 PM
F
Test dial is moving clockwise.

Old 03-06-14, 04:22 AM
T
do you have a valve on the hot outlet to the house ?
if so shut that and see if the meter still track a leak.

Word of warning, do not leave it this way to long if there is a call for the domestic hot water to heat and there is no way for the water to get back to the street then you will start to build excess pressure in the tank. Though this might show a leak even better.

If you are sure there is a leak in the tank, then isolate the supply and return (potable) and pressurize the tank up to 100 PSI thru the relief valve port.
If it holds, then you know its not leaking, if it drops you might be able to see (or hear) it at the elevated pressures.

Who makes the tank ?
HTP has a lifetime on their superstor stainless model

Old 03-06-14, 04:44 PM
F
Ya, that test occurred to me today while I was at work. There is a valve on the outlet to house but it doesn't look to good. The valve hasn't been used in a long time and it looks like it's going to resist me. So I'm going to wait until this weekend to do that test. I'll have more time to deal with a resisting/stubborn valve then.

The tank is an HTP Super Stor stainless. The old info I have on it says it's a 15 year pro rated warranty. Has that change to lifetime warranty?

Thanks for your input.