Impact of adding 1/2" pex tubing to 3/4" heating system

Old 03-05-14, 05:01 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Impact of adding 1/2" pex tubing to 3/4" heating system

I tapped into my hydronic baseboard heating and added about 80 feet of pex tubing that runs under the subfloor of my master bath floor and then returns back into the baseboard heating. I went from 3/4" copper pipe to 1/2" pex and then goes back into 3/4" copper pipe.

My question is could this in any way damage the boiler or circulator pump? I know I essentially constricted the flow and will impact efficiency of heating system after the master bath.

All seems to be working fine. The rooms after the masterbath heat fine. I just want to know if there are any other problems I will be creating down the line.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-14, 05:13 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Damage? Pump will be fine, boiler probably will be, but you certainly didn't do your system any good by 'choking' the flow like that.

Half inch PEX is even smaller than half inch copper... it's actually close to 3/8" copper on the ID.

Honestly, if I was you I would change it out to AT LEAST 3/4" PEX, if not 7/8" (which more closely resembles the ID of 3/4" copper).

Old 03-05-14, 05:38 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
It depends upon what you mean when you write "I tapped into my hydronic baseboard heating...". Did you connect the new loop in series with the existing baseboard convector or in parallel? Do you have separate supply and return piping in your system or is it a series loop or maybe even a Monoflo system? How is this added loop controlled (zone valves) or is it uncontrolled?

Old 03-05-14, 05:59 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The new loop is done in series. Nothing special added to control it. But I agree with NJ Trooper... should probably change to 7/8" to avoid choking the system.