roaring new hot water system olil burner

Old 03-16-14, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi guys!

We just replaced a crumbling System 2000 hot water heating system with a new Buderus unit with a gross output of 136 MBtu/h and a net output of 119 MBtu/h.

First we had to line our chimney with a steel exhaust pipe 5" - 26 ga to meet code. No problem.

A few days later the new Buderus unit was installed with a Riallo burner ( sp?).

It ROARS! You can hear it throughout the house. Heck, you can even hear roar it out on the street!

The installer replaced the first burner with a supposedly quieter Becket AFG with a 0.8560B nozzle.

No change and the installer gave up. You can still hear it out on the street.

Anybody have any ideas on this one ??

Michael

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-14, 06:54 AM

Hi guys!

We just replaced a crumbling System 2000 hot water heating system with a new Buderus unit with a gross output of 136 MBtu/h and a net output of 119 MBtu/h.

First we had to line our chimney with a steel exhaust pipe 5" - 26 ga to meet code. No problem.

A few days later the new Buderus unit was installed with a Riallo burner ( sp?).

It ROARS! You can hear it throughout the house. Heck, you can even hear roar it out on the street!

The installer replaced the first burner with a supposedly quieter Becket AFG with a 0.8560B nozzle.

No change and the installer gave up. You can still hear it out on the street.

Anybody have any ideas on this one ??

Old 03-16-14, 07:07 AM
If the installer did not use test equipment to set up burner , it may make a lot of noise due to too much air , especially the Riallo .

Old 03-16-14, 08:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would contact Buderus about the noise problem. Explain to them what the original contractor has done & when. They may be able to refer you to another contractor. Be sure to inquire as to possible warranty. You don't want to pay a bunch of money for someone to come in & experiment trying to find a cure.

Old 03-16-14, 09:14 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If it wasn't already done, rolling out some kwool dry blanket on the floor might help.

Old 03-16-14, 09:15 AM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Michael,
I was putting in Buderus a while ago and although a very efficient boiler they tended to be more noisey than other brands at times. I put one in that I thought was a lot louder than it should have been and called Buderus. The answer I got was that they were getting some complaints about excessive noise in some installs, not all but enough to make them look into the situation.

It was the G115's that were giving them the problems.
The bottom line was after extensive research, their words not mine, all they could come up with is that it was possibly the way it was vented and what it was vented into that created the noise. They didn't know why. They suspected it was with every boiler but most people have no idea how they're suppose to sound or where they're installed is far enough away from the living area so they don't notice it that much.

In my case the homeowner didn't complain because they didn't know and I was replacing a relic, but I thought it was loud.
At the end of the day they were trying to sell efficiency over noise but they told me that if it really bothered the customer the did sell a muffler for that model now.
It wasn't standard equipment but was available. It had to go in a specific place and in this case there was just no room.

The only problem that I had with Buderus is that this was never made public or included in the package so it could have been addressed before the installation was done and the muffler was fairly expensive for a part that really should have been included once they new of the problem.

Good Luck,

Old 03-16-14, 10:42 AM
They went all the way to the top of the chimney with a 5" pipe?

Looking at the manuals (hopefully I looked at the right ones), that is smaller than the minimum recommended size.

Patrick

Old 03-17-14, 05:48 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Was there a problem with the EK that couldn't be repaired? That should have been a very quiet system. What caused the "crumbling"?