Honeywell Aquastat 8124a temp settings

Old 03-17-14, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Honeywell Aquastat 8124a temp settings

Hi, I have a peerless WV-05 hot water boiler with a amtrol indirect water heater.I'm running one circulator and four zone valves.
my Honeywell aquastat model 8124a doesn't seem to work properly. I wanted to set the low limit at 170 with the diff set at 20 so the boiler should come on at 160 and shut off at 180. and set the high limit at 180. The problem is whatever I set the high limit on that's when the boiler comes on. So now I set the hi to 160 and the low to140. the temp drops to 160 the boiler comes on and runs till the temp reaches 180. the diff is set at 20. Is this aquastat bad or is it the right one for my system. I need some advice thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-14, 08:17 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Hi Pontiac,

To start with, the LOW setting should never be closer than 20F from the HIGH setting, so if 180 HIGH, then no higher than 160 on the LOW. Setting them closer can cause problems with the 'sequencing' of the control.

(If you look at the 'fine print' on the front of the plastic temperature block in the aquastat, you will see it says this...)

If you are working with an INDIRECT water heater, why do you want to run a LOW limit at all? It is not necessary.

Set the HIGH limit at 180 and turn the LOW down to 120 with a 10 DIFF and observe the action. Tell us how it behaves.

Here is how it SHOULD behave with those settings:

With NO HEAT CALL, not from the house thermostats, and not from the Amtrol, you should see the boiler cool to 110F and fire to 120F.

When either the house thermostats call, OR the Amtrol calls, it will fire above the LOW limit setting, but never above 180 (the High limit setting).

If you see something different, let us know.

Old 03-18-14, 11:23 AM
thanks nj trooper I try that and let you know

Old 03-19-14, 07:15 PM
Aquastat settings

Hi NJ Trooper, with the settings you suggested, ( 180 high, 140 low with a diff of 10 ) when theres a call for heat the burner comes on at 180 and shuts off at 190. I also tried setting the high to 170 to see what happens and when theres a call for heat the burner comes on at 170 and shuts off at 180.. When theres no call for heat the boiler does cool down more, I've noticed 140 but haven't checked enough to see anything less. I live in NY if this seems right to you would this setting also be energy efficient. I'm running three baseboard zones and a zone for the boiler mate. Thanks for your help

Old 03-19-14, 07:29 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Something doesn't sound right...

Let me try explaining the way it should work again with those settings.

With no call for central heat and no call from the BoilerMate, the boiler should cool to around 140 and maintain at that temperature. The burner will fire as needed to keep the boiler between 130 and 140 degrees.

When there IS a call for central heat and/or the BoilerMate, the burner and the pump(s) should start and the boiler should heat up to the HIGH setting (or close... 10 degrees one way or the other is nothing to be concerned about) and then the burner should shut off.

If the heat call CONTINUES as the hot water circulates the water will begin to cool. When the water cools to 10 degrees BELOW the HIGH setting, the burner should fire again and reheat to the higher temp... at which point the cycle will continue as long as the central heat or the boilermate is calling for heat.

When the thermostats or the boilermate are satisfied and stop calling, the boiler should slowly cool down to the LOW setting and the burner will fire intermittently to maintain that lower setting.

To put it another way, with that type of aquastat, when the boiler is in 'standby' and waiting for a heat call, the temperature should be maintained at the LOW setting.

When there is a heat or hot water call, the temperature should go up to the HIGH setting.

Does it seem as if this is what you are seeing?

Old 03-19-14, 08:37 PM
Hi, when there is a call for heat the boiler fires at whatever I have the high setting on,and then runs till the temp gets 10 degrees hotter. maybe my temp gauge is off by 10 degrees. I haven't been able to observe how the low setting is working yet but with no call for heat the temp is dropping below the high setting