Zone flowing heat without call...UN-WIRED!

Old 03-13-14, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Please help...zone always running.... No one can figure out!

(Below I have a set of pictures I will reference to throughout this post...
First 4 pictures are a shot of boiler features...next is of wiring of zone in trouble....last two are of changes made to correct problem that failed..)(PICTURES 1,2,4 are sideways!)

I have a boiler that features 4 zones (Main Floor, 2nd Floor, Den, Hot Water)...
When powered on (starting from scratch) they are all off....when I give the call to Main it fires...then never stops flowing...almost full blast....EVEN AFTER I DETACH VOLTAGE GOING TO CIRCULATORY PUMP (007-F5 TACO 1/25 HP Circulator Pump PRODUCT NAME...wont let me upload but is piece where wires are hanging)
(yes i know i shouldnt touch im not an expert...but i am an electrician so i didnt mess it up! just disconected two leads from boiler into pump..)

The Plumber has already installed a check flow that you can see in the return pipe(top left of photo of back)...and changed the flo check valve also pictured below....(last two photos)

If anyone has a clue as to why this zone would keep pumping...please let me know...this thing was running 24/7 before I moved in while the landlords were showing the house..and would run forever as long as the boiler is powered up...

NOTES: WATER GOES UP FROM THE FOUR PUMPS....

PLEASE HELP THIS WOULD SAVE ME FROM GOING INSANE.....

Name:  image (15).jpeg
Views: 396
Size:  36.9 KB

Name:  image (16).jpeg
Views: 348
Size:  40.8 KB

Name:  image (17).jpeg
Views: 231
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  image (18).jpeg
Views: 344
Size:  40.5 KB

Name:  image (19).jpeg
Views: 299
Size:  22.3 KB

Name:  image (20).jpeg
Views: 254
Size:  30.1 KB

Attached Images     

Last edited by NJT; 03-13-14 at 04:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-14, 12:41 AM
moreover

my point of disconnecting wires...is to rule out thermostat problem or a cross/short on the way to boiler.....aND IT STILL RAN FOR 2 HOURS FULL STEAM AHEAD!

FLO CHECK AND CHECK VALVE ADDED TO BACK....

thanks in advance again!

Old 03-13-14, 05:00 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Dubbers, I'm a little confused by your description of the problem.

Obviously you are getting heat where you don't want it.

Is this heat in ALL zones? Or only the ONE zone that the plumber added check valve?

If only this one zone, would it happen to be the HIGHEST zone in the home?

Or, are you saying that the BURNERS continue to fire with NO HEAT CALL, and that you have a MIRACLE PUMP that runs with no power connected to it?

The gray box mounted on the round plate on the front of the boiler, what model is that, and what wiring is connected to it? Take a clear picture of the inside.

What is controlling the individual pumps? Where are the relays (contactors) and what wires are going from those and telling the boiler to fire up, or not?

From what I can see, it appears that the system is wired to run ALL THE TIME. And only CIRCULATE when a thermostat calls for heat.

Are you certain that the flow check valve above the pump is in the CLOSED position?

Old 03-13-14, 05:45 AM
At work will send all that info

At work will send all the info as soon as I get home...thank you for replying!!!

Old 03-21-14, 12:40 AM
Zone flowing heat without call...UN-WIRED!

I live in an apartment and since I moved in, the Main Floor which consists of 6 radiators heaters....

It has 4 zones (Main, Den, 2nd Floor, Hot Water)

I tested the thermostat with my meter on the leads going into the taco 007-f5 circulator pump...when the thermo fires i get voltage...with it off..nothing....I EVEN WENT AS FAR AS TO RUN THE BOILER WITH IT DISCONNECTED

Still, as long as the boiler is on, the main floor eventually gets heat....(i say eventually because the radiators above the boiler will get heat first...while the others are safe to touch....eventually though they all get hot....)

The plumber is stumped by this and I dont know much about the boiler itself....

HE CHANGED THE FLO CHECK..(above the circulator pump) and added a CHECK VALVE to the return....

Is it possible this circulator pump could be stuck open and the pressure of the boiler can seep eventually sending a constant wave of heat to all the vents?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW ANY IDEAS THAT COME TO YOUR HEAD!!!! THANK YOU!!!

Name:  image (23).jpeg
Views: 197
Size:  30.1 KBName:  image (25).jpeg
Views: 238
Size:  45.0 KBName:  image (26).jpeg
Views: 240
Size:  40.5 KBName:  z.jpeg
Views: 250
Size:  38.3 KB

Old 03-21-14, 06:08 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Dubbers, you need to not open a new thread every time you return. You've already asked the questions, and never answered mine.

Old 03-21-14, 07:31 AM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Dub,
With the main zone pump off and you are sure the flocheck is in the closed position and the the check valve going the right way my guess is that you are looking at somehow the heated water from other zones is getting back into the main zone.
My suggestion to see if it's one zone feeding back or all zones back feeding is to turn on 1 zone at a time and see what happens. When you find the zone or zones trace those pipes and find the place they return to the boiler.
It's probably a tee connected to the return that also feeds backward into the main zone.

When you say the rads over the boiler get hot and then all. Are those rads at the end of the loop or the beginning.
With another zone calling feel the supply pipe of the main to see if it's cold. It should be. If it isn't the water somehow is getting by the flocheck. If it's cold, go to the return and feel that pipe. It should also be cold. If it isn't then somewhere you are back feeding through your main zone pipes. You'll know because that zone is actually heating backwards.
Now you have to find the place where the hot water is back feeding and correct it.
If your return is at the boiler for the main zone is cold follow it back anyway to the last rad where it connects to and somewhere on that return you will probably find a tee and unwanted hot water going into that rad.

Good Luck,