Tankless coil on a Utica SFH4150WT

Old 03-27-14, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tankless coil on a Utica SFH4150WT

I recently installed the boiler mentioned in the title. The installation went fine except that the pressure went over 30 lbs and set off the high pressure valve. For lack of a better way of putting it, while conducting some experiments, I believe the coil on the tankless unit must have somehow ruptured. With the feed to the tankless coil open and the return from the tankless coil closed, the boiler continues to fill and the pressure continued to build. Simply closing the fill to the tankless coil eliminated the problem. I adjusted the pressure regulator to about 15 lbs. and it is holding nicely. So the first part of my query is; is my assumption about the tankless coil having ruptured sound logical/correct? My next question is; what model number tankless unit does this boiler take? The coil that is in the boiler isn't marked. The face plate is 7" across and is secured with six bolts. Finally, if anyone has a list of sites online where I can purchase the coil, I'd sure appreciate it if you could send it along. Thanks, Craig

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-14, 01:53 PM
Craig I’m just a newbie but I wonder if it isn’t the same as the Starfire II,III STW shown on this link? It is in fact 7” and has 6 bolts. I guess you obviously have to know for sure. No guessing. lol Bet the guys at that web site could tell you if that would be the correct one.

Utica Radiator - Tankless Heaters Replacement Coils

But obviously you have to wait for the expert guys here to tell you whether they think you should replace the coil or do something else.

Good luck!

Old 03-27-14, 03:03 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
CS,
www.tfi-everhot.com/pdfs/TFI_TanklessCoils.pdf
Thermoflo makes the coils for all the boilers. Go on this sight and find yours under Utica.
Company info is there. It looks like yours is 7" 6 bolt holes. It's the only round one made for Utica.
Company out of Watertown MA.
They bought out Everhot. TFI Thermoflo is the name.

If this is new there should be a warranty.
Hope this helps.

Handy page for anyone with a tankless to bookmark.

Good Luck,

Old 03-27-14, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the comeback gents; zoesdad, you got me pointed in the right direction, just not sure which of those two I need, although I think it may be the Thermoflo STW-6. spott, I'm the guy that you helped out when I asked about the installation procedures for a tankless coil in a 3 section Utica boiler about 3-4 weeks ago. While attempting to remove the tankless at that time, the first section began to crumble in my hands, I had to get another boiler. I got lucky, I got a very good used 4 section Utica boiler at a great price. Thanks for the link, I'm going to give them a call in the morning. Do you think it's the STW-6?

Old 03-27-14, 05:10 PM
CS,
I believe you can use either one. Obviously I would put in the 6.

Old 03-28-14, 02:10 PM
spott, you are right; this boiler will take either one. However, it seems those suppliers who will sell to me only have the STW-5 in stock, and since that's all we've ever known, that will be fine. There's only my wife and myself and we've never been short on hot water. Thanks for your help, and you as well zoesdad.

Old 03-28-14, 05:02 PM
cs,
Happy to hear it worked out for you. 5 is more than you typically see and should be fine.

Be Well,

Old 03-28-14, 05:35 PM
Good luck Craig!

(I have a coil also, those little things sure are expensive. lol)