Boiler Burners Take Out Pilot?

Old 04-01-14, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler Burners Take Out Pilot?

I'm back, with the boiler from hell!

[NJT edit - for history, here is earlier post - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...-pressure.html ]

So here's the latest...

Pilot light has still been going out intermittently over the last couple winters. Go out, re-light it & wait for the next time. The next time could be, the same day, a couple days later, a week later, a couple weeks later, ya just never know.

A couple days ago, the pilot light just didn't seem to want to light or stay lit, so I replaced the thermocouple. Same problem...thinking maybe I didn't have enough of the thermocouple into the flame, I adjusted it so it was getting plenty of flame, glowing hot now.

Well now, I light the pilot light (and it looks and sounds like a blow torch) and it stays lit as long as I want to leave the valve on "pilot". Then when I turn the knob to "On", the burners kick in and all is well...for a short time anyway.

When the boiler hit the high temp limit and kicked off, everything went off, including the pilot. When viewing this in action, I noticed that when the burners are roaring, the pilot acts as if the burners are sucking the flame out of the pilot. Which I think may be causing the thermocouple to cool enough to prevent it from keeping the pilot lit, in turn shutting the system down.

One more thing...when the burners are firing, they seem to run strong and blue, but seem to fluctuate some, kinda like reving their engines so to speak. It's not a constant roar, it's sorta like jet cars warming up.

Here's a link to a short video...
IMG_0592_zpsdd670507.mp4 Video by Loibip2 | Photobucket

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer.
Dobbs

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-14, 04:30 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
What was the outcome of the earlier post? There was no 'closure'...

Going to look at vid now..............................

Back... couldn't really tell much from looking.

Old 04-01-14, 05:35 PM
Ha...closure? Funny guy...
It turned to summer and then a winter full of re-lights. Then the same thing over the last couple years...but this issue seems visible.

Notice in the video how the burner on the right keeps sucking the flame away from the pilot...so it seems.

Let me know if you want more videos...

Thanks!
Dobbs

Old 04-01-14, 06:29 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Notice in the video how the burner on the right keeps sucking the flame away from the pilot...so it seems.
May be. From the sounds and the looks of the video, I suspect that your main burners are getting too much air. Notice the hard, blue flames. Try adjusting the primary air with a combustion analyzer or call a competent service person.

Old 05-31-15, 11:03 PM
Problem solved: Bad gas valve!