Questions on Flue Pipe for Oil-Fired Boiler

Old 04-01-14, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Questions on Flue Pipe for Oil-Fired Boiler

What's a good source for 5" flue pipe (smokestack) for new install of my Buderus G115/4? (non-condensing type) I'm not seeing many places selling it. Also should I run galvanized or stainless?

It will be a pretty short piece to run into the chimney. I am planning on installing a T and using a Field Controls 5" draft regulator. I will need a 5 x 6" increaser to go into the chimney. Should I use a T or use the collar that comes with the damper? I figure T might be better.

Any gotchas for the flue? Will have it professionally commissioned and measurements checked on startup.

Thanks….

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-14, 05:13 AM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What's a good source for 5" flue pipe
I've been using the black painted stuff from the local wood stove store but I get a bit of a discount there... the stuff is quite a bit more pricey than normal 24ga galvanized, which is fine... you don't need stainless, but 'overkill' is never discouraged by me. Whatever you do, avoid the 30ga crap that they sell at big box stores, that stuff is not flue pipe, it's air duct.

Should I use a T or use the collar that comes with the damper? I figure T might be better.
I don't see how a T is 'better' really. As long as you are able to make the cuts to install the collar properly to a straight piece, I see no problem using that.

Old 04-02-14, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thanks for the tip

Thanks Mr Trooper…. I was wondering about the black pipe as it seems to be more rigid but saw that it was for wood stoves. I agree I already checked out the big box crap and it is too thin. The old one that came out is heavy duty but is fraying. Not sure if they have the black in 5" but I will take a look around.

Old 04-02-14, 05:26 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
If you have a plumbing & heating supply near by or a sheet metal place.
If you're not used to working with sheet metal a tee makes a much better job. Install it as close to the chimney as you can for more controlled draft.
24g is what you use for smoke pipe. The 30g is only for ductwork. Always have crimped ends going toward the chimney in the direction of the draft. If a professional is going to do it they will already know.
Fields makes 2 draft regulators. Get the good quality. The other one is junk and not worth your time to put it in.

Good Luck,