corroded heating pipe

Old 04-03-14, 12:14 PM
corroded heating pipe

Hi,

This pipe leading from my boiler has become quite corroded.
I have no idea what could have caused corrosion like that.
Would you guys be able to suggest potential causes?

I also had a boiler inspection just a few months ago and the inspector did not mention this as an issue. When asked about it later the inspector said that he only inspects what he is required to by the city. Do you think that is negligence on his part?

I'm looking forward to your advice! Thank you

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-14, 12:27 PM
Do you think that is negligence on his part?
No. But tell me this, what kind of boiler is this that it requires a city inspection? Is it in a multi-family building?

Going ONLY by what you have pictured I would say the corrosion is caused by a leak. It MAY be only surface rust and not a significant safety factor. You need to clean the fittings with a wire brush and then inspect.

Old 04-03-14, 12:30 PM
Thank you for the reply!

The inspection is required for multi family buildings in new york city.

Would you be able to tell me what to google for for hints to figure out if the rust is only surface rust?

Old 04-03-14, 12:58 PM
Do you own this building or are you paid by the owner to do the maintenance? If not then simply bring it to the attention of the owner/manager and walk away.

If you DO own or manage the building then just use a wire brush and maybe some steel scrapers (stiff putty knife) to remove the rust. If you have a hand-held power grinder then you can substitute a wire wheel for the grinding disc and make the job easier. After you get it clean you can see if there are any obvious holes in the pipes or fittings. If there are then you will need a pipefitter to do some replacements.

Old 04-03-14, 01:01 PM
H,
That looks like a leak on the nipple between the tee & the elbow. The rest is just drippage from the leak.
That's your Hartford loop on your steam boiler. Loose the union and replace the nipple. Chances are it was never tightened enough. Wire brush the other fittings and I think you will find just surface rust on those but change the nipple and elbow if need be.

Good Luck,