Bad pressure relief valve

Old 04-07-14, 08:47 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bad pressure relief valve

Trooper,

I have a pressure release valve leaking a bit of water on the floor.

You may recall or not but my expansion tank was at a minimal pressure for some unknown period of time/years. Following your sticky I corrected this. This was some weeks ago. I have plans to replace the expansion tank more because of age than actual failure (roughly 30 years old). Based on your previous input I plan to also replace the pressure regulator and add the plumbing to make checking the bladder pressure easier. All of this was put on hold until the weather warms up.

Now my pressure relief is dumping water. I need to check my pressure again this evening (just saw the leak on my way out the door to work.) Should I plan on replacing this valve as well. It is in an ugly place to get at.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-14, 10:33 AM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
It's usually recommended to replace the relief valve on a 5 year basis, so if it's more than 5 years old I would say yes, replace it as a matter of routine maintenance.

Old 04-07-14, 01:11 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Trooper,

I'll get this replaced.

The valve that is currently on this boiler is a Conbraco 10-407 3/4" 30 PSI Boiler Relief Valve MXF. WEB cost is around $20.

I called a local supplier and he has a Watts 174A for about $100 which he says is the correct relief valve. The first one is preset and fixed. It appears the WATTS is preset but adjustable?

I need some help here in that these two valves look totally different. The cost difference is significant.

Old 04-07-14, 01:30 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I called a local supplier and he has a Watts 174A for about $100 which he says is the correct relief valve. The first one is preset and fixed. It appears the WATTS is preset but adjustable?
no no no ...

He just wants to get that overpriced valve off his shelves...

Stick with the conbraco or equivalent and all will be well.