wingerr - System 2000 questions

Old 04-12-14, 11:37 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wingerr - System 2000 questions

http://www.wessonenergy.com/document...2000Manual.pdf

Based on page 25 of the System 2000 manual here, does it seem like the 0.04 in W.C measurement is supposed to be between the two ports,
1) flue box test port and the
2) "over fire" test port?

On my installation, the cutout switch is basically sensing port 2 only, with the comparison being done to atmospheric, as there's no other connection to the switch. I'm wondering if that may be the reason I'm getting periodic issues with outages, where the switch shuts down the burner immediately after starting to fire up, when the pressure spikes up in comparison to outside the port.

Reason I'm wondering is because the figure mentioned in the manual, 0.04" WC, is the same as listed on the switch, so it seems like the idea was to measure between those two ports, rather than the over fire port and atmospheric, which I'd expect to be a higher differential.

The switch has no apparent second port on it though, so it seems it could only measure the single port with what must be atmospheric pressure.

Is is possible a different switch is supposed to be used for this, which measures the difference between two ports rather than just the one? the manual doesn't show the switch, so I'm not sure if that's a possibility.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-14, 07:46 AM
H
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The switch is reading pressure (draft) at the over fire port(#2) and references room pressure by way of a small hole in the cover which is on the other side of the diaphragm, which is inside the body. Basically as long as draft over fire is negative or even slightly positive, up to about +.08" wc, the switch stays closed. If the draft over fire is too positive, +08" wc or greater, the switch opens causing a burner lockout.

By comparing draft in port #2 and #1, which is on the outlet side of the boiler flueway, you can make a pretty good determination of how clean the flue way is. A clean flueway will have a draft loss through it of between .02" and .04".

Old 04-14-14, 09:49 AM
W
It could be just that there's no delay to allow the draft to develop from the instant it fires; that may be why it sometimes is unable to fire up.
The blower starts up, and there's the delay for oil pressure to build up, but at the instant the fuel delivery and ignition fires up, there's a spike in the positive pressure, causing it to immediately shut down. If I restrict the blower intake a bit during the startup, to lower the pressure, it fires, and I could then release the restriction, and it'll run okay, developing the negative draft.
It just seems overly sensitive the way it's set up, which is why I was wondering if the cutout was supposed to be sensing between two points inside the burner instead of one.

Old 04-14-14, 12:56 PM
H
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The puff switch should have an orifice in it that slows the reaction to back pressure so it doesn't open on light off. What make is the burner?

Old 04-14-14, 01:20 PM
W
It's a Riello F40; there doesn't seem to be any delay built in, as far as I can tell.

It looks like the switch opens up instantaneously on light off, based on a DMM reading across the contacts. It shows a blip of a large AC voltage before going back to zero, either from the pressure switch closing again, or the burner control signal shutting down. The reading shows 0.0VAC, and then I see a jump on the meter at the split second it tries to fire up before cutting off again.