Replacement boiler suggestions.

Old 04-25-14, 10:28 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacement boiler suggestions.

It's about time to make the switch over to natural gas from fuel oil. This winter in Duluth almost put us in the poorhouse. The details. Current boiler is a 1970 vintage weil mclain 110k BTU cast iron with a beckett burner. Has never caused me issues with less than regular maint. I have a 1891 2 story home approx 1500 sq feet of heated living space over an unheated basement. The 3 inch pipes actually keep it fairly mild around 60 degrees in the winter. I have cast iron rads that add up to approx 95,000 BTU output at 180 degrees (a lot!!). I love those ugly *******s. However, after taking readings this winter, the temp rarely exceeds 120 even when its -20 outside or colder. Even then the boiler doesn't run more than 1/2 the time. It usually is between 100 and 110. The attic has at least 16 inches of batts and the walls were packed in the early sixties I think with rock wool?? I did the slant fin heat loss calc and I came up with 52,437 BTU heat loss with an indoor temp of 70 an outdoor temp of -20 and a design water temp of 180. It didn't give me a choice on the design water temp. I was a builder for about 8 years and had a lot of triangle tube products installed in this neck of the woods. Good product support and plenty of qualified installers. I'm leaning towards the prestige solo 60 but I know that the plumber will say the 110. Keep in mind that I personally have never replaced a boiler. Thoughts and/or suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-14, 02:31 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When you say boiler doesn't run more than half the time do you mean the Beckett burner . The burner is suppose to run 24 hrs on the coldest day and only put enough heat into the house to keep you comfortable .Heat input btu matches heat loss btu a perfectly sized boiler. When you install the new gas boiler go condensing and use it to heat the old oil boiler ,water from bottom of oil boiler to inlet of gas and outlet of gas to top of oil boiler. A Tekmar 256 then can set oil boiler water based on outside temperature and not cause condensation in oil boiler as there is no burner firing. The oil boil becomes a buffer tank to help keep gas boiler from short cycling.Make sure boiler water is clean before interducing it to new gas boiler.Probley the smallest gas boiler you can buy will be too big .These are my opinions based on what I have done .

Old 04-25-14, 03:59 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
The burner is suppose to run 24 hrs on the coldest day
In the theoretical perfect world that is... the one that exists above the 49th.

In reality, one never knows what the 'coldest day' really is, so there is ALWAYS going to be some cycling. With a mod/con the input will match the heat loss if the mod range is wide enough.

Saves, are you suggesting that he leave the old boiler in place and pipe through it? As a buffer tank? Somehow it doesn't make sense to me. If he installs a mod/con TT boiler, he won't need a buffer tank and doesn't have to look at that rusty old W-M boiler and free up some floor space.