Need help with Radiators

Old 05-01-14, 10:48 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with Radiators

We just purchased a fixer-upper in Cape May Court House, and it has a few busted radiators. We don’t yet know if any of the others are damaged.

We originally had a plumbing & heating contractor come in, who told us that he will take measurements, find the radiators and get back to us with a quote, but after two months, we got nowhere. We decided to call around to other local people, and of about 15 contractors I contacted, many said they don’t handle radiators, a few of them never got back to me, and only one said “yes”. We hired him, and while he was great replacing our old cast iron pipes in the house, we’re starting to get the same deal with him about the radiators. We can’t even get him to pressure-test the system.

I can't believe that with all the old homes in NJ, nobody works with radiators. I am desperate.

Can anyone provide some advice?

Thanks!

Last edited by Gunguy45; 05-01-14 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Edited Title and removed SPAM attractor from body of text.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-14, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
IMO go through the yellow pages..

Heating contractors in Cape May, New Jersey with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

Check some reviews of them. Call several and have them come out.

I would note that this is a beach/summer community. There are not too many contractors in that area. Its a sad fact , but if you piss off some of them contractors off down there they will not show up and put you on the black list..

I have done some work down there and know most of these guys that are local prefer to sit in a bar all day...

Weed them out. When you find a guy stick with him. treat him how you would want to be treated..

Sorry I am direct and to the point but thats how it is. Same on LBI..

There are a few good guys in the phone book I know. Cant say who they are, but weed out the drain cleaners and youll be fine...

Good luck...

Old 05-01-14, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Oh one last thing... You may also be better served to call several of the historical societys in the area. Ask them who they use. If they give you that info, then use who they use...

Those guys work on original time period homes to keep them original. So those guys are more of mechanical engineers type tradesmen.

Most homes/hotels are from the 1870's time period.

Historical Society in Cape May, New Jersey with Reviews & Ratings - YP.com

Old 05-01-14, 03:05 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Some places, there exist some creative enterprises known as Building Recyclers or Home Renovation Suppliers who gather up and warehouse items like this for future recycling like you're aiming to do.

You might find radiators, bannisters, light fixtures, claw-foot tubs, cabinetry, doors . . . . stuff like that which has been carefully removed from these structures before they're demolished.

I think there's even a Cable/Satellite TV show that features these activities.

Old 05-01-14, 03:32 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
Try googling " Architectural Salvage " and see what comes up... you might find something local.

This one here is in Barnegat, just a few exits up the GSP from you. Even if they don't have rads, they may be able to point you to someone who does.

Recycling The Past - Architectural Salvage

Hey! Looky here! They do have some rads!

http://www.recyclingthepast.com/Buil...sp?subcatid=30

Old 05-01-14, 04:46 PM
C
Thanks for the suggestions.

I've already checked out Recycling the Past, but none of the rads look compatible to what I have. In fact, I wrote to the owner asking the same question, and she responded with the person she uses in her own home. That person was too far, but they recommended someone else, who in turn recommended one of the "big companies" (i.e. a chain that canvases many states, who will probably charge mucho $$$). They said they do handle rads, but I figured if I could go with a smaller, more local place, it might be less money.

Old 05-01-14, 05:46 PM
Z
Received 26 Votes on 25 Posts
Did you try ebay? I broke my beautiful (lol) 1950’s unique-yellow toilet and found a replacement on ebay which was local, so I could do a pick-up. Or maybe craigslist?

Old 05-01-14, 06:22 PM
T
Received 16 Votes on 12 Posts
Busted radiators? What was wrong with them, was it possible to repair them?

Old 05-01-14, 07:33 PM
S
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
CM,
I'm in MA and whenever I needed rads found them at the scrapyard for almost no money. At the time I was paying $3 a section. A brand new 3 section would have cost 115.00.
Strap yards or salvage yards might be worth a look.
If they are only 1 pipe if you know the heat value they don't have to look exactly the same. There are many different styles that would work.

Why did they say they are broken. What does that mean.

Good Luck,

Old 05-01-14, 07:41 PM
C
Property vacant. Boiler stopped boiling sometime mid-January. Water lines froze. Three radiators went "boom" and shot a chunk of themselves across the room. Trust me, they're broken Still don't know if any others are damaged.

Good news is, it was still sub-freezing temps when we found it, so damage to floor was minimal. Any water that came out froze quickly and we were able to scrape it up.

Old 05-01-14, 08:01 PM
S
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
I guess you could consider them broken.
They're only attached with a union connection so they're easy to remove but if you want to save the radiator valves you must remove the end going into the rad also. They are a matched set.
Special tool to remove tthem. Just some info before you throw them out.
You get the heat value by the measurement and section count of the rad.
If you can't find anyone there if you can take pics and take measurements I could most likely give you the btu's of each one.