Weil McLain Gold is Leaking Water

Old 05-10-14, 04:15 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Weil McLain Gold is Leaking Water

Hi all,

Looks like my 19 year old Weil McLain Gold boiler might be toast. I noticed it was leaking water out of one of the bottom corners while running. I partially removed the jacket and found the leak. See the dark brown area in the picture below. I'm looking for a professional opinion because a new boiler is $$$$.

Name:  WP_20140510_18_37_03_Pro.jpg
Views: 2782
Size:  24.8 KB

Also, I thought you might enjoy this... What's wrong with this picture?

Name:  WP_20140510_18_36_29_Pro.jpg
Views: 4681
Size:  35.7 KB

Any opinions are much appreciated!

Mike

Old 05-10-14, 08:45 PM
S
Received 82 Votes on 77 Posts
Weil McLain has a 20 yr. warranty on the cast iron block. Maybe you can get in under the gun if you're the original owner. You can ask your heating co. or call Weil McLain with the model and serial numbers if it was registered.
Good Luck,

Old 05-11-14, 07:15 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
What's wrong with this picture?
Can't really tell from the perspective of the photo, but is the return piping installed so that the burner swing door can't open?

Old 05-11-14, 05:29 PM
I
spott... Thanks! I'll pursue that and hope the warranty will cover it. Fingers crossed.

NJT... Yep. That's it. I wonder how often this happens. It seems like a difficult mistake to make and not notice. Or maybe it just didn't matter to the installer.

Old 05-11-14, 06:22 PM
S
Received 82 Votes on 77 Posts
It happens more often than you think mainly by plumbers who do not have a clue or do they want to about oil burners and aren't even aware that the door even opens for service since they don't do it.

Old 06-05-14, 09:53 AM
I
It turns out that Weil McLain will cover 55% of the cost of the block.

I've obtained one estimate for the block replacement work (part @ 45% + labor) and it's around $2300. Seems high, but I wouldn't know.

I'm considering replacing the WGO-3 with a more efficient boiler. I have lots of homework to do. If anybody can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Mike

Old 06-05-14, 02:31 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
I suppose I could recommend my favorite oil boiler... Burnham MPO ... For me, it's main selling point is the ease of cleaning. It has to be the easiest boiler on the market to keep clean.

MPO-IQ84 - Burnham MPO-IQ84 - MPO-IQ Series 64,000 BTU Output Oil Fired High Efficiency 3-Pass Boiler

Old 06-05-14, 06:38 PM
S
Weil McLain Gold is leaking

My favorite is the Benjamin OB 1000 which is a steel boiler with a fire box surrounded by water and fired by a Riello burner . If it develops a leak in a fire tube it can be plugged with two steel tapered plugs . If the leak is ascessable it can be welded .Being made of steel it tolerates cold starts and cold water return well in my opinion .

Old 06-06-14, 05:28 PM
I
Thanks for the replies. I'm getting gun shy because of the cost. I may just replace the block. Or I may even look into having it welded (long shot, I suppose). It's my understanding that it would be a bad idea to try any type of sealer because it could cause a problem with my HWBB heat.

Ah, that pesky money thing again...

Old 06-07-14, 09:15 AM
S
Here in Amherst Nova Scotia Natural gas is replacing oil , therefor there are good used oil boilers being pulled out . My brother in-law replaced two New mac steel boilers , I installed one in my sons house . He wants $700 complete with burner . If you were to find a used boiler pressure test it to 50 psi. using water , I have pressured tested a steel New Yorker to 100 psi , and it has been in use for 10 years. This boiler had developed a hole due to the DHW coil gasket leaking , I welded it and then did the test .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: