Corrosion behind temperature gauge in Columbia heater

Old 05-22-14, 06:12 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Corrosion behind temperature gauge in Columbia heater

I am in the process of buying a house and a problem turned up during the home inspection. The inspector noticed that there was surprising corrosion behind the temperature gauge (as in on the gauge itself, inside the boiler). The boiler is only 18 years old and in relatively good shape; the inspector said it should last at least 30 years, if not up to 50, except for the corrosion. We had someone from an HVAC company come out as a follow up and look at the boiler and he said that there was no way to repair the gauge/boiler because the gauge feeds into the temperature exchange, which would also be compromised because of the corrosion. So this means we would need a whole new boiler. Does this seem like an accurate assessment or does anyone think it might be possible to fix the existing boiler? I'm worried the HVAC person might be trying to up-sell me on a new boiler, as opposed to fixing the current one. This is my first time buying a house and certainly my first time dealing with fixing a major house system, so I want to make sure I do everything as best I can! I appreciate any help you might be able to offer.

Old 05-22-14, 07:35 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
I'm worried the HVAC person might be trying to up-sell me on a new boiler, as opposed to fixing the current one
A common tactic...

Is there any way that you can get some clear photographs of the corrosion ? At the very least. the full model number of the boiler

I wouldn't make a decision based on the one guy's assessment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: