Weil-McLain Ultra 230 - Vent Knocking/Ticking

Old 05-23-14, 01:22 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weil-McLain Ultra 230 - Vent Knocking/Ticking

Hello to all. First time poster, long time lurker.

My new house has a Weil-McLain Ultra 230 Ultra boiler, which runs two heat exchangers, my hot water tank, and my radiant heating. Unfortunately, the company that installed it has effectively gone out of business, so I'm troubleshooting things on my own.

Ever since we moved in we've had loud ticking in the walls whenever the boiler fires up. It seems pretty clear that the sound is coming from the boiler's discharge vent (3 inch PVC), and I've assumed that this is a thermal expansion issue. Where the vent run is open in my furnace room I've tried to better cushion/secure the pipe, but with limited success. Is there something obvious that I'm missing, or is this just a case of friction somewhere in the system. I've been trying to avoid opening my kitchen wall to look at the darn thing, but that time may have come.

Many thanks for your thoughts in advance. Twoputt.

Old 05-24-14, 08:45 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
If the expansion noises you are hearing is in fact the vent pipe, sometimes 'securing' it is a step in the wrong direction.

The noise is usually from the pipe rubbing on wooden framing because there wasn't room for expansion built into the install.

Are you sure it's not the water tubing that is making the noises?

Old 05-26-14, 05:38 AM
T
Thanks for your thoughts NJ Trooper.

I take you point that perhaps the venting layout is not properly spaced. That's not ideal, as it would be major surgery to open up the path.

When you ask about "water tubing", are you referring to the copper loops with the pumps? I have full access to those, and they are clearly not the source of the sound. Apologies if I've misunderstood the question, as I'm still trying to get up to speed on terminology.

Cheers, Twoputt.

Old 05-26-14, 06:27 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Apologies if I've misunderstood the question
No, I don't think you did... but perhaps I misunderstood the type of heating you have. When you say " ... radiant heating ... " I took that to mean in-floor radiant, but perhaps you have fin-tube baseboard since you said " ... copper ... " ?

Does the 3" vent pipe run inside the kitchen wall then?

Old 05-26-14, 12:42 PM
T
Sorry for any confusion NJ Trooper.

I do indeed have in-floor radiant heating, the (non-copper) pipes for which are generally enclosed within the concrete floor in the basement.

When I mentioned copper, it was for the loops on my furnace room wall that go to and from the boiler. The various pumps are contained in those loops and would, among other things, direct hot water to the radiant heating manifolds. In any event, neither these copper pipes, nor the pipes in my floor, are making any noise. I'm positive that the pinging is coming from the gas discharge vent.

Cheers, SF.

Old 05-26-14, 12:52 PM
T
And yes, the 3" gas discharge vent does run up from the boiler in the basement, through the wall in the kitchen, and out to the side of the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: