Can Never Seez be used with teflon tape to install new pressure relief valve

Old 05-24-14, 07:02 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can Never Seez be used with teflon tape to install new pressure relief valve

I am instaling a new pressure relief valve on my glycol home boiler. I have teflon tape and regular grade never seez with 1800 deg f rating. Just want to ensure it will seal and not leak as well as the never seez not to reaxt to polypropolene glycol. The PRV is set for 30 psig

Thanks
Zedde

Old 05-24-14, 07:44 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
First off, use no more than TWO WRAPS of teflon tape. No matter what you see or read on the internet, MORE IS NOT BETTER! Using too many wraps is guaranteed to cause problems sealing because it will prevent you from getting the METAL TO METAL seal that pipe threads are designed for.

You will see videos of PROS wrapping that crap around and around and around... and that is WRONG!

Leave the first 2-3 threads BARE NAKED, do not run the teflon tape all the way to the end, or apply pipe dope to them. That is where the metal to metal seal is made. The tapered threads are designed to seal themselves when the part is threaded together. If you use too much tape, you can't get the part tight enough to get a proper seal.

TWO WRAPS of teflon tape and a bit of good pipe dope like Rectorseal #5 or Hercules Blue...

You don't need to use the Never-seez. There's no point in it at all.

Old 05-24-14, 08:08 PM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply and information. The only pipe dope I have access is to is never seez red, will it do the job or should i try[HR][/HR][SUP][/SUP] to wait until monday for the other?

[HR][/HR]

Old 05-24-14, 09:12 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
It should be fine ... don't worry about it reacting with the anti-freeze because it should never touch it. If you get the seal on the first couple threads which will be bare nekkid, the glycol will never see the never seez ... and it probably won't affect it even if it did.

Main thing is go sparingly on the tape, and make sure you get it tight enough.

Pipe thread is designed for 7-8 thread engagement and that's tighter than ppl think!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: