Using diesel fuel for heating in a pinch

Old 05-31-14, 10:47 AM
Z
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Using diesel fuel for heating in a pinch

hi folks-

I ran out of oil, and thus hot water, since I have the tankless coil for domestic hot water. My supplier canít get here for some time.

Would this plan be OK:

1. Get two 5-gallon yellow cans specifically made for diesel fuel.

2. Go to the local gasoline service station and fill up the cans with diesel fuel straight from the pump. (Do I make sure the pump says number ďnĒ, or are they all the same?)

3. Pour the fuel down the same filler pipe that the delivery guy uses (I canít get the plugs open on the top of my oil tanks, no way. Another bad story! Lol)

I donít use that much fuel for hot water so I figure 10 gals would be OK for a while. I could get 20 gals or even more if that would be a better course. Was wondering if you could even get the system primed with only 10 gals in a 275 gal tank? Or is that irrelevant?

I thought diesel fuel was OK but here is a link below which talks about bleeding? I guess that means you could see leaks with diesel fuel? I also heard somewhere that your flame might need adjustment because of a difference in the burn? I would hate to mess with that. lol

I know how to bleed the pump for priming, Iíve done that many times.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/ga...ace-oil.html#b

Old 05-31-14, 11:26 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Except for the "on road" taxes, diesel and kerosene are basically the same. It is an expensive way to go, but when you're backed into a corner.............. I would get "off road" dyed diesel. Same stuff, just with red dye in it. You don't want to get caught with it in an on road vehicle. Fines are pretty stiff.

The guy in that thread worked at a plumbing supply store, and knew nothing about fuel, so rest easy.

Old 05-31-14, 12:17 PM
Z
hi chandler thanks for your response. I did wonder about the guy in the plumbing store. lol

Where would I get ďoff road dyedĒ diesel? Is that different than you would get at the average gas station? I assume so.

Old 05-31-14, 12:20 PM
Down here, most all fuel stations have one pump sitting by itself. That is your dyed off road diesel. You probably would have no reason to even notice it exists, except now you need it

Old 05-31-14, 12:33 PM
Z
Thanks chandler. I feel better now. I'll be going out on my mission is the next day or two. lol

I'll post back and let you know what happens.

thanks!

Old 05-31-14, 01:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
A marina that sells diesel would also be a choice. You might even call a few feed stores. Have you asked your regular supplier if he would sell you the fuel oil if you brought the containers to his yard?

Old 05-31-14, 03:56 PM
Z
Thanks ray.

I donít know how far a marina would be but I can check with my supplier (if I can get hold of him. lol) and find out if I can do a pickup. Good idea.

Old 05-31-14, 04:12 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yep same stuff. We have a 200 gal. off road tank for our tractors and I have used it in my boiler several times in the last month of winter to get me through. I have also went the other way and used the fuel out of my oil tank in the summer in my tractor.

Old 05-31-14, 04:13 PM
Z
Hi guys Ė

I was just out at the gas station to fill up my car. I pumped a little diesel into a can to see what it looked like. (I did pay for it. lol)

It was clear and I see as you say itís not dyed red. But I also noticed it didnít seem to have the real strong odor of number 2 heating oil? I know when I get the runoff when I prime the pump on the boiler that oil smell lasts for a long time.

Maybe itís my nose. Just seems funny - or do they add something to number 2 heating oil to make it smell? I know they add something to gas to make it smell (I think.lol)

Old 05-31-14, 08:32 PM
Z
hi guys -

Just wanted to say that in my last post when I said that the diesel fuel didn't have a strong odor - I must have been out in lala land! lol

As I sit here and type - my hands smell bad from oil ! lol peeyeew!

Old 06-01-14, 03:09 AM
So you didn't find any off road diesel? It will be red.

Old 06-01-14, 03:54 AM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
In another life, I once knew a guy who worked for the MBTA in metropolitan Boston, and drove his diesel Cadillac Seville to work twice a week, only to fill his tank with the Subway's fuel and drive back home to put it in his heating fuel tank, and plan another fill-up.

This was when oil and gasoline was less than $1.00 per gallon; so I can't imagine how popular this employee benefit is these days. And this guy wasn't even a Union Boss or any kind of management muckitymuck . . . . just another leech taking advantage of the circumstances available.

And he had no problems with his boiler or furnace due to this expropriation.

Old 06-01-14, 08:16 AM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
If you need fuel NOW, just pony up and pay the road taxes...

diesel and kerosene are basically the same
That I'm not so sure Chandler... did you mean to type " diesel and #2 FO are ... " ?

I'm pretty sure K1 is distinctly different than #2 FO ?

Old 06-01-14, 09:34 AM
Z
Hi guys Ė

I canít find any of the dyed red stuff around here. Never paid much attention before but most of the gas stations around here donít even have a diesel pump. There are a few stations that have pumps that are just labeled ďdieselĒ. I guess that means if you have a diesel vehicle Ė diesel is diesel? lol

Not close to a marina either. The local feed store doesnít have it, Iím pretty sure. I go there a lot to buy bird food. Iíll try to catch my neighbor to see if he knows where they sell the red dyed stuff.

So I just filled up two 5-gallon containers from the diesel pump at the local Lukoil gas station. Iím going to dump that down the tank filler pipe pretty soon and then go back and get 10 more gallons and then try to fire up the burner.

I guess this could get nasty couldnít it, if a fella was to not pay attention and pump gasoline instead of diesel fuel. lol (guess not really funny)

Thanks for all the help!

Old 06-01-14, 10:08 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Run outs stink.I done 1000 gal. buried with 5 gal. that got me off call. You don't want to know how I primed pump though. 20 gal should last you awhile. Shoot the nozzle line into a can for the first 30 sec. or so.

Old 06-01-14, 10:09 AM
Yes NJ, I mistakenly wrote Kerosene which is a different animal. And you just about can't afford kerosene at our local place. Over $5 a gallon.

Old 06-01-14, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,475 Votes on 1,363 Posts
I guess this could get nasty couldnít it, if a fella was to not pay attention and pump gasoline instead of diesel fuel. lol (guess not really funny)
A little off topic...........

I have a diesel van and ALWAYS watch when they pull the nozzle, if I don't fill it myself, as well as I repeat diesel several times to the attendant. Several months ago I had an attendant fill it. I see him pick up the right nozzle so I didn't pay any more attention. A minute later I look in the mirror and see the wrong nozzle in the van. Five gallons of gas in the diesel van. Luckily with some additives.... no ill effects. (and the guy wanted to charge for the gas.... I was steaming.)

Old 06-01-14, 10:22 AM
Z
Run outs stink.I done 1000 gal. buried with 5 gal. that got me off call. You don't want to know how I primed pump though. 20 gal should last you awhile. Shoot the nozzle line into a can for the first 30 sec. or so.
Thanks guyold. gotcha. I'll do that.

The diesel at that gas stations around here cost $4.50/gal. Couldn't believe it!

...(and the guy wanted to charge for the gas.... I was steaming.)...
Could Hollywood make this stuff up? lol

Old 06-01-14, 10:53 AM
I'll further Pete's off topic. We ran both diesel and gas trucks at ATL, with tanks mounted on the appropriate side of the truck. You pull in and your tank was on the nozzle side you needed. One of our guys decided to back in, fill his truck with gas, and start it. Ran about 10 seconds at red line which for a Catapillar is about 3500 RPM, then zoomed up. Parts of the engine went in all directions.

Old 06-01-14, 12:10 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Run-away diesel is a pretty scary thing!

Usually the best thing to do is just that... RUN AWAY!

Old 06-03-14, 09:40 AM
Z
Thanks guys.

Used the diesel from the gas station and success - I have hot water. Good to remember that option on a cold night! lol

(I won't forget to see if I can find a source for the dyed red stuff.)

Thanks for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: