Boiler will not bleed

Old 06-05-14, 04:59 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Boiler will not bleed

I have never run out of oil before but we had a bitterly cold winter and my oil ran out 5 months before it normally does.

I had oil delivered and now tried to restart the boiler by bleeding it. I unscrewed the bleeder valve. But instead of a steady gash of fluid, all I got was a drop every 5 seconds with some air bubbles at the beginning.

So I cannot restart my boiler by pressing the reset button. Any thoughts on what might be wrong ? Am I missing steps ?

Old 06-05-14, 06:07 AM
S
boiler will not bleed

Check the oil filter , also the burner oil pump internal filter .

Old 06-05-14, 07:21 AM
T
Saves
Thanks for the response. Can you give me some pointers on what I should check for with the filters. I believe I should check if they are dirty and clean them. Is there anything else I should do ?

Note: I am at work now so I cannot check. But I need to gather all the info before I go home this evening

Old 06-05-14, 08:39 AM
Z
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Hi telefe Ė

I just ran out of oil myself a few days ago and had to bleed the pump. Iíve run out of oil several times (not bragging, lol) and had to bleed the pump also on those occasions. I also bleed the pump whenever I change the oil filter or the pump filter.

Anyway, I agree with saves, I think a problem with those filters can impede oil flow. Maybe they got clogged up because sludge got sucked through when your tank ran low (so far that hasnít happened to me.)

But this last time I had some problems bleeding the pump. It took me about five tries, letting the pump run for 30 seconds at a time, before I saw any oil at ALL coming out of the bleeder valve. Then after another try or two I got a sporadic flow which was foamy with a lot of bubbles. Then after another try or two it seemed like the stream looked pretty good with few bubbles so I closed the bleeder valve diverting the oil to the nozzle and the burner fired right up.

But when I wasnít seeing any oil coming out at all, after the fifth try I opened the bleeder valve more. I thought it already was all of the way opened, and maybe it was. And probably it was just a coincidence, but thatís when I started to some oil come out (sixth try).

Anyway, what I am trying to get at, unless I am always doing something wrong (very possible, lol) you may have to try quite a few times before you get the proper stream from the bleeder valve. I use 30 seconds a try because my burner control is set to pop the button at 45 seconds. (I guess it wouldnít hurt to let it pop? - but I use 30 seconds).

But as saves says dirty filters will stop the oil flow and they can get clogged up from running out of oil. Unless the pros here says itís wrong, I would think that itís OK to try multiple times. The only question I would have is how many times are too many times? And can you damage the pump?

p.s. hey guys, i just found this link where they say it could take up to 10 tries. But I think this forum is the place where you will get the real expert advice ( i didn't mean from me. lol)

How to bleed and restart your oil heating.

Last edited by zoesdad; 06-05-14 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-05-14, 11:14 AM
S
boiler will not bleed

Check the coupling between burner motor and pump that it is turning the pump shaft .What make of burner and do you have burner manual ?There is detailed instructions on how to bleed oil burner .

Last edited by saves; 06-05-14 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-05-14, 12:14 PM
T
@saves

My boiler is a Weil McLain Gold

@Zoesdad: Thanks for the pointers.

Old 06-05-14, 01:09 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Tele, saves was asking the model of the BURNER itself, not the boiler as a whole.

The recommendation of changing filters and such is good, but it doesn't seem likely to me that your coupling is the problem... unless it conincidentally broke at the same time that you ran out of oil.

How far is your oil tank from the burner?

How many tubes are running from the burner to the tank, one? or two?

How much elevation change is there between the tank and the burner?

Even in extremes, for you to say you ran out of oil FIVE MONTHS early seems odd. Was it really THAT cold in TX this winter?

Even up here in the NorthEast where it was quite a cold winter I don't think that I have used more than 50 gallons more than last winter...

Is your tank BURIED?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: