No longer using Hydronic (Hot Water Baseboard), should I drain?

Old 06-26-14, 07:59 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No longer using Hydronic (Hot Water Baseboard), should I drain?

The short end:
We no longer utilize an oil fired hot water baseboard system in the house. Should I drain the system?

The long end:
We added a Carrier Greenspeed Inverter air sourced heatpump system to the house w/electric strip backup last fall in an effort to reduce our oil consumption. The system is a forced air design and replaced our existing AC system. (Heatpumps both heat and cool.) We kept the existing oil fired baseboard system in place as 1) we were unsure whether the Heatpump would meet all heating demands and 2) additional cost to remove.

Last winter was a brutal test for the new machine with the "Polar Vortex" bearing down on us. The Greenspeed handled it like a champ and the oil was never touched. (We went from heating a 2200 sq foot house @ ~$3000 for oil, in a more mild winter and keeping the house @ 62 degrees, to this past winter using ~$760 in electric @ 10cents per kW, a tougher winter and keeping house @ 70 degrees.)

Eventually we will remove the old oil furnace and baseboards, but for now, since its no longer used, should I drain the system? Or is it best to keep it pressurized?

Old 06-26-14, 08:43 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If there is no risk of freeze up I would leave it in a operating mode for a back up in case the heat pump goes down , or electricity goes through the roof as coal fired plants are to be shut down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: