2 pipe steam radiator

Old 07-02-14, 06:56 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
2 pipe steam radiator

Hello i had recently removed my radiator and now the pipes are exposed the top has a valve that is closed but the bottom one has no valve to lock will i have a problem when they start using the boiler again?

Old 07-02-14, 07:13 PM
NJT
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Why did you remove the radiator, and will you be putting it back?

You can't use the boiler with an open pipe.

Old 07-02-14, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts

will i have a problem when they start using the boiler again?

from what I know yes!!!... You need to cap the return line...

Welcome to the forums..........

Old 07-02-14, 07:18 PM
L
So the top part with the valve is closed is fine but i need a cap for the bottom pipe ?

Old 07-02-14, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Yes..........................

Old 07-02-14, 07:22 PM
L
I pretty much didn't want it so im trying to find out if the exposed pipes need caps

Old 07-02-14, 08:05 PM
L
Ok so i tried a few caps that i had and none of them fit where can i get caps that fit this thing? i cant take that steam trap out i tried

Attached Images   
Old 07-03-14, 11:22 PM
L
Steam pipe information needed!

Hello im needing some information on a particular piece of a Steam Trap. Where can i find this piece i marked on the picture and the name of it please!

Attached Images  
Old 07-05-14, 04:53 PM
NJT
It's called a 'radiator spud', or 'tailpiece'.

Usually comes with the valve.

Radiator Valves , Steam Radiator Valves , Watts Radiator Valves - SupplyHouse.com

I looked around a little and can't seem to find just the spud separately.

Why you need just that piece?

Old 07-05-14, 06:12 PM
S
Received 82 Votes on 77 Posts
They do not sell just the spud by itself. It it specifically matched to fit the valve and only fits that particular manufacturer's valve Although different companies make these they cannot be mixed and matched.

Old 07-06-14, 03:06 AM
L
Well i wanna get a cap for my steam trap so i don't need to put back that ugly radiator back! from what i was told i need to cap just the return line because the other valve has a lock so steam wont go through this is the trap im trying to cover

Attached Images   
Old 07-06-14, 06:30 AM
S
That pic you have with the threads is the female side of the union and is not made for threaded cap.as you probably found out does not fit. The other end is in the radiator. If you're not going to use the rad just remove it and on the trap side remove the trap from the elbow and put a 1/2" plug or a close nipple and a cap. On the other side you probably have a radiator valve. You can remove that and cap that also unless you have other plans.
Hope this helps a little.
Good Luck,

Old 07-06-14, 07:19 AM
S
There are no caps that will will fit this. It's like when you buy a union. The thread is only made for the union nut to fit. Nothing else will work.

Where the trap goes into the elbow, is that copper or threaded. If it's threaded it may take some work but it it will come out.
Get a small pipe wrench that will on the pipe and then put another longer pipe over the end of the pipe wrench for leverage and see if you can move it.
That elbow looks like cast iron which means you can break it with a hammer and cap the straight pipe.
If your going to try to break the el use 2 hammers. Place 1 underneath the 90 to brace it and take about a 3 lb. sledge and it may take a few whacks but it will crack and remove it.

I say looks like cast because it looks thick in the pic. If it happens to be a malleable fitting used for gas piping also it cannot be broken. They are thinner than cast iron.

Old 07-06-14, 08:12 AM
NJT
I've merged the two threads regarding the same issue together, please continue to use this thread for the issue.

Old 07-06-14, 04:37 PM
L
Ok thanks for all you're information guys! but just to be clear the STEAM TRAP / RETURN LINE must have something to cover the exposed pipe and the other valve that is locked so steam wont come through doesn't need a cap right? also if i dont cover the trap and they turn on the boiler what will happen lol? k thx again!

Old 07-06-14, 05:39 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
You need to remove the trap. If YOU cannot do so then you need to hire someone that has the expertise and tools to do so. Also, the valve on the supply side needs to be capped, plugged or removed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: