Wiring Zone Valves: Can the transformer on the boiler handle three valves ...

Old 07-17-14, 11:24 AM
Wiring Zone Valves: Can the transformer on the boiler handle three valves ...

If so, then how to ..... ? If not, then how to and where can I buy an additional transformer, how big (rating) should it be, and then how to wire. I replaced the old valves which were missing the motor head (by sweating them off) and then replacing them with Honeywell V8043 valves. Currently, only the T-stat upstairs is directly wired to the boiler, and it appears as though the zone for the upstairs was clamped open. So how now brown cow ?

Typical Homeowner that is learning to do everything. Near the end of remodel, I have this basic task to accomplish. I read some of the posts on this Forum and decided that this is the best place to hang out.

Thank You, Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-14, 11:36 AM
NJT
Hi David, welcome, and I'm sure you will get some help here!

I never advise to use the boiler transformer to power zone valves. Even if it IS big enough to power multiple valves (and most are not because they have 'boiler stuff' to power) if the transformer in the boiler takes a dump, then you're without heat. At least if an external transformer quits, you can still get the boiler itself fired up fairly easily.

There are a number of ways to wire up zone valves:

You can use an external 40VA size transformer and discrete wiring between the valves and transformers.

A much easier solution though is to use a "Zone Control Panel" such as one of the Taco ZVC series.

ZVC404-4 - Taco ZVC404-4 - 4 Zone Valve Control Module with Priority

This box has terminals for the thermostats, the zone valves, AC input to power internal transformers, and an output to fire the boiler. It's definitely the easier way to go, and when all is said and done the time you will save is worth the slight extra cost.

Old 07-17-14, 11:39 AM
Thank You so very much. I would like to presume (how is this different than assume) that the Zone Control panel comes with instructions. If not, I am sure that I will find the help I need here. Thank You again for such a prompt reply.

Old 07-17-14, 11:48 AM
NJT
You're welcome... I always use 'presume' just to keep that old cliche at bay...

Yes, there will be instructions and the Taco website has a fairly extensive library of wiring diagrams that fit almost every situation.

We'll be here if you have questions. I probably already have a diagram for your situation.

In the meantime, tell us the make/model of the boiler.

Old 09-14-14, 09:51 AM
Burnham boiler, MODEL 206NC-TEID. The Taco ZVC403 arrived and I am ready to wire. What should be done first ? Thanks, Dave

Old 09-14-14, 10:18 AM
the schematic for the ZVC403 shows that I need a 24V transformer for each valve that is to be wired to it. Gotta find those. I am wondering if I should just hire this out, or if this is something that I need to learn.

Old 09-14-14, 12:31 PM
Got the transformers ....

Old 09-14-14, 02:57 PM
NJT
I think yer reading that diagram wrong Dave...

Those transformers are already installed in the Taco panel, all you need to do is connect the valve wires to the terminals, the thermostats to the thermostat terminals, 120VAC to the AC input, and run the 'end switch' wires to the boiler.

Old 09-14-14, 03:31 PM
Between the diagrams for both the Honeywell V8043 valves and the Taco ZVC403, this looks like some time will pass before I draw up a diagram of how the two relate.

Old 09-14-14, 03:33 PM
NJT
Are you perhaps over-thinking this Dave?

There are terminal strips on the Taco panel with 4 openings...

And the zone valves have four wires...

The four wires go into the 4 terminal openings...

Old 09-14-14, 03:35 PM
I just re-read the Taco diagram; I read Thermostat and my brain said Transformer. I'm trying real hard to make this complicated.

Old 09-14-14, 04:52 PM
NJT
I'm trying real hard to make this complicated.
Sound like me now... When I do something new it takes me forever to just think about it. Then when I get to it, I think, where's my 'Staples' button! "That was easy!"