Changing Hot Water Convector

Old 08-05-14, 10:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing Hot Water Convector

I'm thinking of buying a house that has a new boiler but the original hot water convectors in each room. The house was built is 1965. I'd like to know if the convectors can easily be replaced with regular SlantFin baseboard.
Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  18.5 KBName:  photo2.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  23.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-14, 11:39 AM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'd like to know if the convectors can easily be replaced with regular SlantFin baseboard.
I think the key word here is " easily " . I suppose I should ask what you consider easy.

There are a number of factors that will determine how easy a job this might turn out to be, but it should be possible to do.

Old 08-05-14, 11:45 AM
I guess "easily" would be not having to run additional piping. I'm hoping that any changes that have to be made can be made in the open at the baseboard.

Old 08-05-14, 12:37 PM
NJT
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A clever installer might be able to use the existing piping to connect a run of baseboard. Nobody ever said it's a rule that the water has to come in at one end, and out the other end... you CAN feed a baseboard run in the center... just come up out the floor, feed the baseboard running one direction, run a pipe inside the cabinet, above the element to the other end, and then back down into the floor.

BUT... this all hinges very heavily on how the convector piping is set up now... if they are on what are generically called 'venturi tees' (trademark name is Monoflo) then you will NOT be able to feed a long run of baseboard by tying into the piping to and from the convector. You will get little or no flow through the baseboard if you try.

Old 08-05-14, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the info. At least I have some hope. I'll have an installer look at the system.