Help Picking New System for Oil to Gas Conversion

Old 08-12-14, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help Picking New System for Oil to Gas Conversion

I have done a brief search and read several threads but have not found any good ones that compare system/brand types and describe pros and cons. Can someone post a link to a thread where I can get started?

I know the first thing to do is a heat loss calculation using the slant fin sticky thread and will do it this week.

Here are some general specs:
Raised Ranch 1950
~2100sq-ft including finished basement
Baseboard hot water oil heating system
currently 3 zones

Here is a heavily detailed thread of my existing system that NJ helped with some issues I had with my system last winter:

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...turn-cold.html

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-14, 04:47 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hey DJ! How's things in Taxachusetts?

Take a look at the Burnham ES2 series.

I'm betting the heat loss is going to come in around 60K BTUH, but that might be a little shy for a decent recovery time on the indirect water heater.

The ES2-3 is probably going to be too small, so you might have to look at the 4 section.

ES2-4 - Burnham ES2-4 - ES2-4, 77,000 BTU Output High Efficiency Cast Iron Boiler (NG)

Here is a heavily detailed thread of my existing system
That was some marathon thread wasn't it? And for it to turn out to be the pump... jeeze...

Old 08-13-14, 10:25 AM
Hey NJ great to hear from you. Yes that was a crazy thread/problem. I still have not taken apart that damn pump to see why it failed but do promise to get to it and add it to the thread.

*edit* Removed question about difference is between a Cast iron boiler vs. high efficiency stainless steel?

I got a rough quote from a guy that said he likes to use the Bosch Greenstar boiler (link below) and a Superstor SSU-45 indirect water heater, stainless steel lined tank with a life time warranty. This quote came in right around $10k - $1.8k in rebates. This quote includes removing the old system and build permits. Seems like a nicely compact system but I know nothing about it.

Bosch Greenstar Greenstar 131 | Greenstar Space Heating & Domestic Hot Water | Bosch Water Heaters

I have a second guy coming on Friday he is going to do a full heat loss calculation for me which is nice. I think I remember you saying a rule of thumb is ~ 25 BTUH / sqft so I was guessing the heat loss should come in around 55k. This guy said he replaces a lot of Bernham systems so has a slight bias against them but will install it if that's what I want. With that said I will look into reviews of the system you mentioned.

Old 08-13-14, 10:30 AM
Interesting web page I found on a guy that describes why he doesn't like high efficiency stainless steel boilers:

30 Reasons Why Cast Iron Boilers are a Better Value Than Stainless Steel or Cast Aluminum | ProTech HVAC

Maybe I answered my own question.

Old 08-14-14, 08:12 AM
Received 20 Votes on 16 Posts
Don't forget to look into any utility company rebates that might be available to you. National Grid has the Burnham ES2 boilers on their list.