Valve Placement & Selection New Boiler

Old 08-14-14, 05:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Valve Placement & Selection New Boiler

Hello all. Iím planning the installation of my newly purchased Weil Mclain CGA-3 NG Hydronic boiler, but I need some help purchasing & installing a few things. The layout shown below is physically how everything will be arranged. I will be using this Watts package from the domestic water supply to the pump (see picture). Please disregard the radiant heating zones, those will be installed next year and I hope to use the Taco I series mixing valves.
bp Model ex_Reduced.pdf

1. Where do I need drain valves, isolation valves and access to purge the system. From doing some reading on the forum I found the best valves to use are the Webstone valves. Exactly where would I need them in my system & what type?

2. Do I need a check valve or back flow preventer after the pumpís discharge?

Please see the attachment

bp Model ex_Reduced.pdf

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 4735
Size:  29.3 KB

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-14, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can't answer your questions; but I can add a new one. I have hard water, which is fine with me; but it necessitates periodic (frequent) replacement of my Air Vents . . . . so I've learned to disassemble and soak them to remove mineral deposits and clean them up for re-assembly and re-installation. I'm using Taco "Hy-Vent" units that quickly screw out of a ⅛" Tapping in my Air Scoop.

That particular Watts Air Separator you have shown doesn't look like it would lend itself to very easy replacement or service. Do you have "hard water" ?

Just an thought.

Last edited by Vermont; 08-14-14 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-14-14, 02:27 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I have hard water, which is fine with me; but it necessitates periodic (frequent) replacement of my Air Vents . . . .
If, by chance, you have a water softener, use softened water to the boiler fill line.