Burnham V-16 Boilers Specs?

Old 08-24-14, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burnham V-16 Boilers Specs?

Greetings All

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find the specs for a Burnham V-16 boiler. The reason I ask is because my two unit condo association currently uses them and we are looking to have them replaced with newer more efficient units. But we would like to have the specs so we can compare it to the ones in the bids we will be receiving

So far the only bids we have involve Buderus G215/7 and G215/4 boilers. Anyone have any opinions on these units they would care to share? Ideally we would like a dual fired unit as we are currently on heating fuel but would like the option to switch to natural gas in the future.

Also I have heard talk of highly efficient condensation boilers, anyone one have any experience with units of this type?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Read more: Burnham V-16 Boilers Specs? - DIYnot.com - DIY and Home Improvement

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-14, 04:31 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Should be a 'data plate' on the boiler with all the specs.

You got two separate bids from contractors... one quoting a SEVEN SECTION? and one quoting a FOUR SECTION?

That is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in size.

It tells me you need to be very leary of the contractors giving you these bids.

Have any of the contractors offered to do a HEAT LOSS ESTIMATE in order to properly size the boilers for the application?

I don't think you'll find a 'dual fired' unit. Oil is oil, gas is gas, and the differences in boiler designs are radically different.

There ARE 'gas guns' that can replace an oil burner, but some manufacturers don't recommend their use. Engineers design boilers to run on a particular fuel. When you hire some tech to install a gas gun, you are rolling the dice... voiding any warranty, etc................

looking to have them replaced with newer more efficient units
Probably not worth it if the current boilers are operating with no problems. Payback is going to take a LONG time, regardless of what the boiler SALESMEN tell you.

Buderus is a good boiler though.

Old 08-24-14, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There's a plate but it only gives model/serial number and output in BTUs. I was looking for efficiency info.

These boilers are over 30 years old, aren't current boilers far more efficient than they were back then?

edit to add:

We got one bid from a single contractor. They want to put two G215/4 in one building and a single G215/7 in the other.

Old 08-24-14, 06:15 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Ideally we would like a dual fired unit as we are currently on heating fuel but would like the option to switch to natural gas in the future.
You are now burning oil. If you think gas availability is on the horizon, I would tread water for the time being - not replace the boiler.

Old 08-25-14, 05:31 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Very good advice!

If what you have is working, keep it until the gas is available and THEN change over.