Steam radiator shut off valve cap

Old 08-25-14, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steam radiator shut off valve cap

I'm looking to remove an old steam radiator and cap off the the part of the valve that use to connect to the radiator. I've tried a 1.25" cap which seems like it should work, but I can just barely get the cap to thread on maybe 1/4 or 1/2 a turn. The threads look good and clean, and I've cleaned them anyways to be sure. A 1.50" cap is definitely too big. So does anyone know what size cap I might need? It seems like I need 1.25", but with a different thread pitch than what I've tried. I'm
also thinking maybe a 1 3/8" cap, but don't know if they even make valves with a 1 3/8" outlet. Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-14, 11:32 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Please post a photo. I think you may be talking about where the union attaches to the valve tail. That won't a standard pipe thread. If that's the case, remove the valve entirely and cap the pipe.

Old 08-25-14, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately I'm away from the house, and won't be back there for a couple of weeks. I found this picture on google, and outlined the area in red where I want to cap off.

Name:  valve.jpg
Views: 8725
Size:  30.2 KB

Old 08-25-14, 02:45 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
That's not a standard TAPERED PIPE THREAD, which is what is on the caps you are trying to mate with it.

As Gil has said, you will need to remove the valve and cap the pipe.

Why are you removing the radiator? You don't want to heat that room any longer?

There's ppl around who want that radiator, please don't kick it to the curb or scrap it. If you must dispose of it, at the least, try to find one of those 'restoration businesses' in your town that deal in this stuff. You might just get more than the scrap value for it.

Old 08-25-14, 03:24 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Yep, the photo's box shows the union nut. Even if there were a way to cap it (and I don't believe there is), you wouldn't want to - what if the stem packing starts leaking? And wouldn't that abandoned valve look a little goofy sticking up out of the floor?

Remove the valve and cap the pipe.

Old 08-25-14, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'll look into taking off the valve and capping the pipe.

I'm removing the radiator because a couple of years ago we installed a heat pump that is ducted throughout the whole house, and left the steam radiators installed as a back up system.

I want to remove this particular radiator because it's in a very small bathroom where there is basically just a sink mounted to a wall, with hard water lines and a drain coming up from the floor. I would like to install a vanity where the existing sink is, but the steam radiator is very close to the sink and would get in the way.

This would be the second steam radiator we've removed from the house, and have basically just left them in the garage. There actually is a fairly large business in the area that sells lots of used antique home parts, so I might see if they would be interested in the radiators.