Changing 1/2" baseboard to 3/4" & Velocity Noise w/New Boiler

Old 08-28-14, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing 1/2" baseboard to 3/4" & Velocity Noise w/New Boiler

I've got 3 heating zones in my house, all running 1/2" copper baseboard heat, each zone with its own circulator pump. In the colder winter months, the bottom level of my home (on a concrete slab, including an older sliding glass door) struggles to stay warm. All the other zones are fine.

We're planning renovations in the lower level, pulling down paneling, replacing/upgrading insulation, and I'll have excellent access to replace either the original baseboard covers (all painted over and mucked up) or entire baseboard units, including the elements. Would there be an increase in the heat output if I upped the elements from the existing 1/2" to 3/4" baseboard? I don't have measurements but am not concerned about too much heat loss on this loop.

We had a new boiler installed last winter and we're now dealing with some velocity noise, primarily in this bottom level loop, that didn't exist before. The system used to pull the water into the boiler via each circulator pump at the end of their loops, pushing it through the boiler and back out at (I presume) a much lower velocity than how the system works now. Now the pumps are positioned in a way that pulls from the boiler and pushes into the loop. They actually replaced the Taco 007's with 3-speed Grundfos pumps that helped a little bit with the noise - that and identifying some areas within the walls where the pipes were vibrating and elimination some of their contact with 2x4's and floor joists. Most of this noise can be ignored because it's only at the start of the run in a room infrequently used. But I'm wondering if adding a 3/4" baseboard (actually, 3 of them in the one room) would add to velocity noise because we're changing the pipe's diameter in the main living room of the house. I'd rather it be a bit colder but not hear the water moving through those pipes!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-14, 02:20 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Can you post a sketch of your system, along with pipe sizes, etc.? Also photos?

The heat from a baseboard depends on temp and flow rate specs published by the baseboard manufacturer.

Flow noise is caused by flow velocity (not flow rate). I think there may be some confusion here. What is the size of the main supplying the baseboards in question? Is the flow noise coming from the baseboards themselves or the supply and return piping?