Dealing with oil tank sludge

Old 09-02-14, 05:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dealing with oil tank sludge

I decided to switch out a very old oil tank that was in my home when I bought it. It had at least 2 inches of sludge in it and I've been worried that it may be corroding the bottom of the tank. I got a good used tank for a good price. This tank also has some sludge but not nearly as much the old one and the bottom steel is very solid. I've been trying to remove as much of the sludge as possible before putting into service. I drained out the approx. 5 gal of remaining oil and sludge then let settle and have been rinsing the tank with the top layer of the settled oil to flush out remaining sludge. I don't want to have problems with clogged lines so in addition to my regular spin on filter at the burner, I'm thinking of putting on a second filter housing, near the tank, and leaving it empty to allow settling of any sludge globs that come out of the newly installed tank. My question is does this seem reasonable and is there enough vacuum from the burner to pull any remaining sludge globs through my 3/8 inch lines to this settling canister housing? I have bottom feed tank line. Also will any additive effectively dissolve remaining sludge? At this time I just cannot afford a new tank. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-14, 09:42 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I like and have the large Gen. 2a700 oil can,have run out a fair share of times on my old tank.Use with filter insert,can even get cleanable metal insert.Two filters will do no harm.Heard the additives can help.

Old 09-02-14, 09:57 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
An empty can in that position will also tend to collect the water that condenses and comes out too.