boiler system winterization

Old 09-11-14, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
boiler system winterization

i have a summer home water heat, basically its a sentinal slant fin boiler with baseboards throughout the house. i never use the boiler and because i snowbird to arizona during the winter months. so i'd like to winterize the system and forget about it. what it be better to have the system filled full of heating system antifreeze or carefully empty the system by blowing it out will air? i understand the risks of blowing the lines out, but there are openings at the low points of the lines, so the pipes can be thoroughly blow out.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-14, 11:05 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The antifreeze option is your set it and forget it option. If you drain the system, you'll need to refill it before you can ever use it again. Add to that the moisture left in the boiler after it's drained may corrode the internals, rendering the unit nothing more then junk.
Make sure you use the correct antifreeze for your boiler, contact Slant Fin for their recommendations.

Old 09-11-14, 12:49 PM
ok, thanks, i was thinking if i just blew the system out, maybe i would just dump a gallon of anti freeze directly into the boiler.

Old 09-11-14, 01:27 PM
Heating system anti-freeze needs to be ratio'd into the existing heating system's water.
Don't drain or blow out anything, just pump in what's required and circulate for a short time.
Follow the mfg. instructions on the product Slant Fin recommends.

Old 09-11-14, 02:30 PM
NJT
Ditto what they said... don't drain the boiler, add the anti-freeze in proper proportion.

Old 09-11-14, 04:17 PM
would i need a pump? or would it be a matter of calculating the total system volume, draining x amount of water, and replacing the water by pouring x amount of anti freeze directly into the boiler fresh water feed? actually i do have a plug at a high point, also.

Last edited by driger; 09-11-14 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-11-14, 04:40 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Question: what have you done in the past?

If you never use the boiler, nor intend to, then I don't see a problem with draining the system and walking away from it.

Old 09-11-14, 04:41 PM
NJT
What you ultimately do to get the AF into the system depends on how the system is set up...

One thing you want to try to do is change as little water as possible. The water in your system has had the dissolved gases driven out and it basically 'inert'... won't cause corrosion. Fresh water has huge amounts of dissolved 'air' in it.

If you are lucky enough to have valves that you can shut off and totally isolate the heating loops so that you don't have to drain them, then you could drain a little water out of the boiler and remove the Pressure Relief valve and add the AF there.

You can use a pump also... there's a pretty good explanation of the process at this link:

Heating Boiler Anti-Freeze Installation Procedure

Old 09-11-14, 04:57 PM
thanks, i do have a plug at a high point in the heating loop. possibly i could add antifreeze there.

and another issue is i never used the heat, so i guess as long as the system is closed the antifreeze will stay good indefinitely.

Old 09-11-14, 05:16 PM
NJT
i guess as long as the system is closed the antifreeze will stay good indefinitely.
A long time anyway... but it should still be checked periodically.