Heating repair estimate accurate?

Old 09-14-14, 04:06 PM
Heating repair estimate accurate?

Hi all

I am a single woman who, by default, is maintaining a duplex home on her own.

I have a partially finished basement that a friend is interested in renting. The current baseboard heating system in the basement apartment was disconnected from the boiler before I got the house.

I am gathering estimates to reconnect the system...

Attached is an image of the estimate from a "friends and family" guy...

According to him....

Estimate item 1 ($148) describes the large metal valve located to the left of the silver overflow tank...he indicated they are out of code and should be updated

Estimate item 2 (no charge) implements a bracket in place of the bent wire coat hanger to support the overflow tank

Estimate item 3 ($75) fixes the red expansion tank - apparently currently installed upside down

Estimate item 4 ($98) inspect, clean and tune up boilers for coming season ($40 each)

Estimate item 5 ($665) will zone off the basement apartment from the upstairs apartment so while they will use the same boiler, they are controlled separately - includes wire and thermostat

Estimate item 6 ($420) will pressure check and reconnect the system to the boiler

Estimate item 7 (no charge) will fix some crumbling plaster around the exhaust fan exit to the chimney

Estimate item 8 ($390) is to remove asbestos covering from the old pipes that are unused in the basement

Estimate item 9 ($260) remove old pipes that are unused - "clean up" system

What questions would you have for him if you were me? This seems reasonable for my budget... thoughts? Anything seem fishy? What should I have done soon and what can I wait on? Is any of this unnecessary? Thanks for your help...

Name:  estimate.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  31.1 KB

Name:  heating-system1.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  35.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-14, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not the pro here.... just some observations.
Estimate item 5 ($665) will zone off the basement apartment from the upstairs apartment so while they will use the same boiler, they are controlled separately - includes wire and thermostat. Estimate item 6 ($420) will pressure check and reconnect the system to the boiler.
So he wants almost $1100 to check the basement heating zone, re-connect it, and add basement control of it. That sounds a little high.

That gray expansion tank is an accident waiting to happen. You can't hang a tank like that off of 1/2" or 3/4" copper in free air. The weight can snap the copper especially if the tank fills with water. Even with a proper hanger it's questionable.

I do see what looks to be asbestos wrap on the heat pipes. Make sure he's having the work done properly and not just ripping it down. You don't want that dust floating around the basement.

Are these boilers on natural gas or heating oil ?
Will he be supplying a chicken for the pot ?

Old 09-15-14, 05:23 AM
Group Moderator
Wouldn't hurt to have a couple pros bid the job as well to get other on-site opinions.