Inducer Assembly/Switch Dunkirk XE4

Old 09-15-14, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Inducer Assembly/Switch Dunkirk XE4

My boiler won't fire and I had my usual service people have a look. Diagnosis is that it needs a new inducer assembly and the switch that the inducer assembly is supposed to activate when it creates sufficient vacuum. They charged me $90 for the diagnosis, and quoted me $749 for the repair, parts, installation included. They did not give me a break-down and in fact stated if I bought the parts they wouldn't install them.

Fine, I'll do it myself if you're going to be that way, or call someone else, not sure which yet. Trouble is, I'm having a hard time finding out which parts I need. My boiler is a Dunkirk Model XE4 from 1987. The inducer that's on it now is model number JA1M139NS with a brand name of "MagneTek Universal Electric" on it. I'm guessing it's not original?

I have no idea how to describe the switch. It's mounted just above the burners on the inside of the front cover. Very easy to get to and replace...If I only knew what to replace it with!

Can someone help me find parts for this beast? Is $749 excessive? Sure seems that way to me so far, but until I find the exact parts I can't be certain.

Thank you,
Jack

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-14, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
What is the exact model # please..

Welcome to the forums...........

Example we can find your part from dunkirks parts lists.. Like this PDF... But need your exact boiler..

http://www.ecrinternational.com/secu...ument/3017.pdf

Old 09-15-14, 12:22 PM
Thank you for the response! Yes, that PDF is what I've been desperately seeking, but haven't been able to find!

The model number from the plate on my boiler is XE4, nothing else. I'll try to upload a pic so you can see what I mean. I'll also upload a pic of the p/n for the evacuator, but I'm not sure it's original.

Name:  Boiler Plate.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  43.1 KB
Name:  Evacuator PN.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  35.4 KB

Thank you so much for your help!

Jack

Old 09-15-14, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
Diagnosis is that it needs a new inducer assembly and the switch that the inducer assembly is supposed to activate when it creates sufficient vacuum.
Does the fan operate?

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

Follow that tube from the blower motor. That should lead to the pressure switch. Take a pic of that.

Also take a pic of the boiler itself...

Old 09-15-14, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Ill have to poke around.. I believe page 19 here AO smith part # 673 may be a replacement from what I read. I believe the specs match...

http://www.economicelectricmotors.co...aosmithcat.pdf

And for example only the part can be found. ( Seems it may be the AO smith 673 as I linked above.)

https://acpartsdistributors.com/inde...ducts_id=35661

And I believe that is the original fan assembly..

Old 09-15-14, 02:41 PM
The fan DOES operate, but doesn't create sufficient vacuum. My decimal may be off a place, but I think he showed me it was creating .05 (unknown units of vacuum) and he said it should create at least .8 (unknown units of vacuum). My numbers are off I know because I'm going by memory, but the point is it was significantly lower than it should have been.

Problem 2 was that even when the vacuum was simulated at a correct level, the burners would still not fire. In the first picture below, he had to short out the white switch in the lower right corner (when the pic is turned 90 degrees clockwise, not sure why they're getting inserted sideways), inside he cover, just above the burners, then with the vacuum simulated, the burners kicked on. So it's that white switch that is the second part I need.

I do have and know the basic use of a multimeter.

Below are the pix you requested. Again, thanks so much for your help. I'm liking the price of that AO Smith replacement part if that is indeed the correct one. Hopefully the switch isn't crazy expensive.

Name:  Boiler Front No Cover.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  33.3 KBName:  Boiler Front wCover.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  31.8 KBName:  Boiler Inducer.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  39.5 KBName:  Boiler Side.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  51.0 KB