Correct part for Burnham 204NIL-TEI2 boiler pilot burner assembly?

Old 09-15-14, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Correct part for Burnham 204NIL-TEI2 boiler pilot burner assembly?

I have a Burnham 204NIL-TEI2 boiler (about 7 years old now) which has, since its 2nd year in operation, needed to have the flame sensor cleaned (e.g. with very fine sandpaper) every couple months in order for it to ignite reliably. I learned this by watching the tech do this the first time it failed... as much fun as it is to have my heat stop working every few months, I am now renting the house and would like it to work properly.

The pilot burner assembly is a Honeywell Q348. if it's possible to just replace the flame sensor, then I would like to identify the right part. If I have to replace the whole assembly, I'm still not sure what the right part is, since there are several different versions for natural gas shown on Honeywell's web site: NE22 orifice, KR14 orifice, NK28 orifice, F24 orifice, and even a couple different part numbers with the same orifice:

https://customer.honeywell.com/en-US...tpath=1.2.11.2

As far as I can see there is no identifying information on the part in my furnace that would indicate which I have now.

Any suggestions on the best way to identify & obtain the parts I need to fix this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-14, 05:12 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is there anything in this parts list that will help you?

http://s3.supplyhouse.com/product_fi...rts%20List.pdf

If I'm reading it right, this is the orifice, but it also says it's included with the pilot assembly:

https://customer.honeywell.com/en-US...ies&t=material

I think the " NE22 " means Natural gas, Electronic ignition, 0.022 orifice , but could be wrong about that.

It would seem if you replace with the 1002 suffix, you will get what you need.

Question is, why if you had to clean the old flame rod on a regular basis, do you feel that replacing with a new one is going to change that?

Here's another ...

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Burnham-8...3-IN12-Boilers

Old 09-15-14, 05:25 PM
"why if you had to clean the old flame rod on a regular basis, do you feel that replacing with a new one is going to change that"

Thanks for the reply. Fair question, my assumption has been that it had failed or was in some way defective, and cleaning just bought me time. Or maybe the fact that it gets dirty quickly is something addressed in a newer revision of the sensor.

I haven't been able to find a lot of info about this problem so I am guessing, but clearly this mechanism is the source of the problem - so I can't think of any other way to address it. Maybe my gas is just dirty

But I'm open to suggestions!

I did (after careful inspection) discover the orifice imprint of NE22.

Old 09-15-14, 06:04 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What kind of environment is the boiler in? Clean and dry? or perhaps damp and dusty basement?

I don't think you'll gain anything by changing it out.

But, it shouldn't require cleaning that often either...

Old 09-15-14, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
Often in a laundry area I find all combustion areas in a boiler or HWH get coated with a white coating/ powder... Bleach???

Just a thought.. Let us know..

Old 09-16-14, 05:05 AM
It's in an unfinished basement. To be sure it can get pretty dusty down there. But it worked fine the first season (maybe even the first 2 - can't remember for sure), and then required cleaning every couple months after that.

I found a replacement part for 50 bucks so it seems like a fairly cheap gamble, I'll see how it works out. Since I no longer live there, if it even gets through even one winter it will have been a good investment!