Bypass question

Old 09-15-14, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Bypass question

I have a hotwater boiler.
I have heard that adding a bypass between the return and the supply is a good idea. My pump is at the base of the return line.
I have a three riser manifold on the supply and return side. but one is a stub on each of them and each has a globe valve.
Can I pipe a bypass from the supply to the return - and if so, does this make sense to do?
I cannot see how the flow will go in the opposite direction. so I assume if I do this, a third of the supply goes directly back into the return so it keeps the temperature up going through the boiler. Is that correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-14, 08:59 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
During a lengthy heat call, what does the boiler temperature run at? What is the age of the boiler? Photos would be helpful.

The bypass flow needs to be piped from the pump's discharge, past the boiler, and to the system supply piping. In your post, I think you may be mixing up the terminology for supply and return. Flow will always go away from the pump's discharge and into the pump suction..

Last edited by gilmorrie; 09-16-14 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-16-14, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have a standard weil mcclain cgm-5 where they have the pump at the base of the return
just above the drain. The pump would then pump forward directly through the boiler.
so there would not be any room in my system to place a bypass between the pump and the boiler.
right?

The other thing is - what would be the purpose of bypassing the boiler and pumping some water into the supply? is it to cool down the flow going into the boiler?

Old 09-16-14, 01:24 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
You would have to move the pump and install a tee between the pump and the boiler. Study this, and get back to us with any add'l questions:

Bypass_Piping_Explaination

But first, it is necessary to determine whether boiler protection is even required. If you want help on that, we need more info: photos and what temp the boiler steadies on during a long heat call involving all or most zones (if more than one).

Last edited by gilmorrie; 09-16-14 at 03:35 PM.