Converting to Gas

Old 09-18-14, 10:10 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Converting to Gas

I've got ng coming in in the next few weeks. I currently have a 4 year old Burnham mpo iq 85 connected to two zones and about 130 linear feet of fin tube. I'm also going to be replacing the dhw. I haven't done a heat loss yet but I'm in the process of going from 0 attic initiation to r40 and other upgrades.

The navien ncb line seems like the no brainer. It takes care of both needs. Price is good. Despite its complicated setup it would appear to take care of all the self diagnostic and I wouldn't have to bring in a pro since I don't have a combustion analyzer.

A couple of other things that might be helpful, I think I would size up to the NCB 240 to support my wife's hot baths and multiple showers.

One other concern, the ncb is so cheap compared to the other combis are they just crap?

Other options? Any opinions on converting the boiler? Wayne said that it would probably work.

Old 09-19-14, 03:34 PM
NJT
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Most of the guys here aren't big fans of the 'combi' units... so you won't come away from this with a warm fuzzy feeling I'm afraid.

I believe that Burnham says NOT to convert the MPO to gas in their manuals, but it's been a while since I've looked at the instructions for them.

Old 09-19-14, 03:51 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
The combi wall-hangers are popular in Europe and Asia where indoor space is quite tiny and where DIYers are not as common. They are mostly designed and/or built overseas with proprietary components, and require factory-trained service. I don't think they would be very friendly for American DIYers.

Do you fix your own toilet, using standard parts available at the neighborhood hardware store? When I was in Japan, I was informed that people don't do that. They must call the manufacturer, Toto, who sends a technician, wearing a snazzy factory uniform, to your residence.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: