Wood doctor wood boiler, new owner, need help please!

Old 09-24-14, 03:55 PM
Wood doctor wood boiler, new owner, need help please!

Hi guys, i hope some people familiar with the wood doctor wood boilers can help me out. We just bought a acreage that has a wood doctor heating our floors through pex pipe. My question is, how do I know how much water is in my wood doctor? The previous owners said they had to add water once a week, but I cant see where the water level indicator is. I called a guy and he said its in the front panel where you flick the switch to turn on the fan, but i dont see it. Also how hot should I heat the water too before I turn on circulator pumps? I am a real newbie to this boiler. Previous owners was suppose to show us how to work it, but their mouths just spit out %$^ and nothing with credibility. They even stole the bathroom mirror,blinds that were drilled in pvc windows, etc, but thats another story! lol

If anyone knows where a copy of the manual for these online that would help. I couldnt find one.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-14, 04:17 PM
NJT
Have you tried contacting these folks? They might be nice enough to scan and email a manual if they have one around:

Wood Doctor CT outdoor furnace

Old 09-24-14, 04:29 PM
thanks, i emailed a few online companies, and none returned my emails, i will try them. I finally called one and he was nice enough to answer my questions but I can tell he wasnt thrilled lol. Its hard for me to call from here because i am remote and cell service is very weak. Hoping someone here will know some info! I have one more question as well. For one line I have a circulating pump at the boiler and one in the house. then for the line to the garage, i have a circulating pump at the boiler, but nothing is in the garage, currently no heater either, so i am wondering if need a circulating pump in the garage? It will just be running through a radiator in the garage

Last edited by tallymay; 09-24-14 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-24-14, 04:47 PM
NJT
I don't think you'll find anyone that visits here regularly to be familiar with Wood Doctor... I've been here since '06 and can't recall anyone ever ask about them... but then this is primarily gas and oil burning stuff we typically deal with.

There's a lot of 'bad press' about the company that marketed the furnaces... seems they went bankrupt in 2010-2011 time frame.

i am wondering if need a circulating pump in the garage?
You would need to be a lot more specific describing the entire setup for us to be able to help you with that.

Old 09-24-14, 05:01 PM
yes i read all the bad about this company researching them lol. for the garage line, there is a pump at boiler, about 40 feet of pex to garage, will be hooked up to a 3 foot rad, and then returns to boiler.

Old 09-24-14, 05:05 PM
whats the best brand of pumps to buy? we currently have taco 008 at boiler, and I was told taco brand is garbage! pumps at boiler need replacing, one is missing, and other doesnt function.

Old 09-24-14, 07:19 PM
NJT
Nothing wrong with Taco pumps if they are correctly used!

Thing about outdoor wood boilers... they are OPEN systems and there is LOTS of oxygen in the water. If a cast iron pump is used it won't last long. Are the pumps that are being used on the wood boiler side cast iron? or are they stainless or bronze? What's the full model of the 008 ?

You put ANY manufacturers cast iron pump into service on an OPEN system and it will fail way before it's time.

So you mean that at the boiler there are TWO sets of PEX coming off some sort of manifold? One going to the house and the other going to the garage?

Can you take some pictures? It always helps to see stuff...

Old 09-24-14, 10:15 PM
taco 008-f6 bronze body cast iron 3/4 inch sweat Is this the correct pump I should be using? i will get some pics tomorrow in daylight Yes there is two pex lines coming off the boiler, and two return lines. Garage is in different direction than house. not attached. It looks plumbed properly to me lol but the wiring... lol will be fixing that up. Thank you so much for your help so far. I head grundfos is a great pump to buy. Which would be suitable for me if you are familiar. these are 1/25 hp pumps, how are these pumps rated? like how do you determine what size of hp i need. I would love to just use only one pump for garage for cost savings. garage is about 40 feet away.

Old 09-25-14, 03:40 AM
The boiler is made of steel and since it is an open system a suitable rust inhibitor must be added to the water or the whole system will be toast in a few years. This inhibitor will of course protect the cast iron pump also .