Hydro level 3250 on an old peerless boiler ?

Old 09-28-14, 05:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hydro level 3250 on an old peerless boiler ?

I have an old Peerless JOT boiler with a Beckett burner and a Honeywell L8124a aqua stat. 3 zones, tankless hot water coil and slant fin baseboards.

I am planning to go away for a couple of months over the winter and wanted to turn my house water off but leave the heat running at about 50 degrees.

I am considering replacing the Honeywell with a Hydrolevel 3250 + electro well in order to update the controls and get the low water cut off feature. The gasket on my coil is leaking slightly so I need to pull the coil anyway and thought this would be a good time to update the system.

Do you guys think this is a good idea ? I really want to shut my water off but keep the heat on. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-14, 05:39 AM
You need to make your boiler control a cold start were the burner only comes on during a heat call.

Old 09-28-14, 05:54 AM
I did not plan to go to cold start. It is a 25 yr old boiler and I am concerned about introducing leaks and having additional condensation with cold start. I am not that concerned about oil use, it is a passive solar, heavily insulated house. When we are in the house, 10 mo of the year, we get our domestic HW from the tankless coil and I don't think cold start and tankless coil work together.

I want the LWCO and thought the 3250 would be a good upgrade which would also give me LWCO.

Old 09-28-14, 11:18 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I would absolutely recommend an LWCO in this case, whatever brand you choose.

LWCO will protect boiler from firing if there's a leak, but what then? How will you know if the heat goes off? You'll need some way of being alerted if that happens.

Why shut off the water? afraid of leaks and flood I guess?

Look into devices such as "Water Cop"

Do you have trusted friend, neighbor, relative, that can check on the home in your absence?

Old 09-28-14, 03:14 PM
I do have a friend who will come by once or twice a week, but I still worry about an extended power out and pipes freezing, breaking and flooding the house. With the water off damage would be limited to the heating system and the water from it.

When I am home I have a generator and wood stove so I don't worry about outages, but being gone for a couple of months has me concerned and I am trying to think of the best way to limit risk/ damage.

Old 09-28-14, 03:43 PM
I have glycol in my house due to a porch that has a washing machine in it and it has frozen up twice in the past 20 years once from a bad connection on the zone valve and once due to a seized zone valve . The hot water line broke but heat pipe didn't . Fixed valve and heat was back on, well worth the expense.

Old 09-28-14, 04:01 PM
NJT
Glycol is not a bad idea in a home that is primarily heated with wood when occupied.

Wood stoves are not always successful in heating the extremities of the home and when the central heating system is not in use the pipes can still freeze.

porch that has a washing machine
Me too! What's more, it makes a dandy place to chill my 'Red Tops'.

Mike, in addition to devices like the 'Water Cop', there are some that will also monitor the building temperature and will phone you if the temp drops below a setpoint. I bet there are even those that will allow you to connect to the home via internet...

Old 09-28-14, 04:28 PM
Yes, I am considering a remote temp monitoring system which would be accessible from my phone

So, since I need to pull the coil to replace the gasket, I assume it makes sense to upgrade the aquastat to a 3250 with the LWCO option. Otherwise I guess I could install a stand alone LWCO in one of the other furnace ports. I an assuming it makes sense to go to the 3250.

Any thoughts ?

Old 09-28-14, 04:51 PM
NJT
an assuming it makes sense to go to the 3250.
Yes, as part of your multi-prong approach to protecting the home over the winter.

There are other benefits to the 3250 as well.

I wouldn't bother with the outdoor reset 'add-on' but rather use the built in 'thermal targeting' strategy instead.

Old 10-04-14, 06:13 AM
Wet swap of temp/press gauge

NJTrooper, Thanks for the information and advice ! Installed the 3250 with the electro well for LWCO. Pretty straightforward job. While the furnace was cooled/drained I gave it a good cleaning, put new electrodes and nozzle in the gun, replaced the gasket on the coil and flushed the coil, added valves to the expansion tank to isolate it and reset the pressure.

I also replaced the pressure / temp gauge since the pressure gauge never dropped below about 8 lbs. Of course the new gauge from Home Depot is leaking and filling up with water. I guess I will cool the system, drop the press to 0 and attempt a wet swap.

Any advice on a wet swap ?