Rectorseal Surgemaster Question

Old 10-04-14, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rectorseal Surgemaster Question

Hi All,

I'm new to the forums and I'm glad I found them. Anyway, I have a ten year old gas fired Peerless STEAM boiler that has been doing fine. At the start of each heating season I call my plumber and he comes over, flushed the boiler adds a product called Surgemaster by Rectorseal and the boiler runs great. Money has been getting tight and I need to start doing the boiler maintenance on my own.

I drained and flushed my boiler and got ready to add the Surgemaster product. The instructions say to sift the product into the boiler which, from what I can tell, with my boiler is not possible. The other alternative according to the instructions is to mix the product with 1/2 gallon of water. Well, first of all the product is like talcum powder so as soon as you power some into a container it floats everywhere. Secondly, mixing it with water doesn't work very well and most of it just floats on the top of the water.

Has anyone ever mixed Surgemaster with water and how do you do it? Each time my plumber has done it the water is nice and clear with a tint of green from the Surgemasters life indicator.

Thanks....

Last edited by NJT; 10-04-14 at 11:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-14, 10:35 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Ummm... okay, I'm a bit puzzled.

Who told you that you needed to flush the boiler each year, and what reasoning did they give for doing so?

With HOT WATER BOILERS, it is NOT something that should be done, and should even be DISCOURAGED.

OH... but wait...

Is this a STEAM SYSTEM ? and NOT a 'forced HOT WATER' system?

Old 10-04-14, 11:02 AM
Hi NJ Trooper, its a gas fired Peerless Steamboiler. My plumber who I have been using for ten years told me to flush it once per year. To his credit the steam pipes in my house are over 50 years old and gunk does build up in the boiler.

Old 10-04-14, 11:46 AM
NJT
OK... just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page.

Steamers probably should be flushed out annually.

I don't really have any advice on the Rectorseal though, having never used it myself.

I know there are probably millions of steamers out there that don't use the stuff annually and they're surviving just fine.

Old 10-04-14, 12:00 PM
Thanks, that's what I figured and I'm wondering if it's worth paying him to flush the unit out each year and pour in the Rectorseal Surgemaster. As per the manufacture it is supposed to help prevent surging and corrosion. I wonder if this additive is like fuel injector cleaner? Some folks swear by it, others like myself have never used it and both cars run fine.

We had the steam boiler filled with just water and it ran fine for six years filled with just water before I spoke with him about annual boiler maintenance. I wonder if just flushing the boiler once per year before the start of heating season, then filling it with water and running it for 15 minutes is all that is needed?

Old 10-05-14, 08:36 AM
NJT
Every steam heat owner should read this book. You will probably know more about your system when you are finished reading than any of the 'knuckleheads' that you hire to service it.

We Got Steam Heat!: Dan Holohan: 9780974396002: Amazon.com: Books

Old 10-05-14, 08:54 AM
Thanks NJ Trooper...I'll place the order this afternoon

Old 10-06-14, 11:53 AM
Well..I spoke with Rectorseal today. It turns out that the whole bottle treats a 30 gallon boiler and you need to mix the product for at least 30 minutes in hot water. Gee..don't you think they should put that little caveat on the bottle rather than just stating:

"If possible, drain boiler completely. This is essential if other boiler compounds have been previously
used. Make a cone or funnel of paper and sift into boiler in dry state. If necessary, mix contents of
can with gallon of water, and pour into system". So in a nutshell I would only need about1.5 ounces of the chemical for my boiler

Old 10-06-14, 02:30 PM
NJT
So in a nutshell I would only need about1.5 ounces of the chemical for my boiler
So you're saying your boiler water capacity is 8.5 gallons?

Isn't there a tapping on the boiler, maybe the pressure relief valve, that you can open to pour the powder into?

Old 10-06-14, 03:41 PM
Yes, I can flip the pressure relief valve up and pour it in from there. However, I tried mixing the adative as per Rectorseals instructions and I got the same results. I even used a drill with a paint mixer on it and mixed 1 dry ounce to 32 ounces of hot steaming water and all I got was a dirty water mix with a clumpy suspension. I have to wonder if the dry chemical was sitting on the self too long and has expired although I doubt it would do that.

Old 10-06-14, 04:00 PM
NJT
Know what's weird? The MSDS sheet for that says it's INSOLUBLE in water! HTH can that be?

I think it said shelf life is 2 years. Can you find a date code on the package?

Old 10-06-14, 04:50 PM
Hmm... I think I am getting the gist of how this works. If you look at the instructions it states:

"Make a cone or funnel of paper and sift into boiler in dry state. If necessary, mix contents of
can with gallon of water, and pour into system."

I have a feeling that what breaks down the chemical is not so much the water but the high heat from when the water is boiling and converting into steam. I interpreted the phrase "mix contents of can with 1/2 gallon of water to mean" "dissolve the contents of the can with 1/2 gallon of water". I think mixing it with water simply allows you to use water as a sort of delivery method rather than a solution.

No date code on the package.

Old 10-07-14, 03:38 PM
NJT
I interpreted the phrase "mix contents of can with 1/2 gallon of water to mean" "dissolve the contents of the can with 1/2 gallon of water". I think mixing it with water simply allows you to use water as a sort of delivery method rather than a solution.
I think you are correct on all counts!...............

Old 10-07-14, 06:21 PM
Thanks and thank you for the book recommendation. I'll be ordering it next week.

Old 10-07-14, 06:25 PM
Oh, I did find out where my plumber pours in the additive. On the other side of my boiler there is a cast iron screw on plug that is used to skim the boiler. I was looking at it and found some older powder residue. So if the plug is removed I have a nice 2" opening where I can put in a funnel and pure in the additive.