fittings for old cast iron rads

Old 10-05-14, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
fittings for old cast iron rads

I have recently restored a couple of old cast iron rads, however both of the units seem to have strange thread sizes. One of the units has a fitting that is in between 1" NPT and 1 1/4" NPT. Another unit I have has a fitting that is between 1 1/2"NPT and 2" NPT. After conducting some research it seems that a spud wrench can be used to remove these fittings so that they can be changed out. However, what is the formal name of these fittings? I have looked under "male union" and other various names, but cannot seem to retrieve consistent results and availability for these fittings. Any additional input or insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-14, 04:07 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I think what you're looking at is the tailpiece from the radiator valve. It's not a normal pipe thread, it's a straight thread... and it is a 'union' of sorts.

Radiator Valves , Steam Radiator Valves , Watts Radiator Valves - SupplyHouse.com

Post a pic...

Old 10-06-14, 05:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Name:  254067281_a556dfa171_m.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  23.7 KB

its the "union" type fitting that the arrow is pointing at. The attached image is not of actual radiator, but you get the idea. You appear to be correct that this is the tail piece of the rad valve, as that's the same result I have turned up looking at parts as well.

What is the best practice for adapting these to a 3/4" NPT copper fitting so that it can be tied to the existing line? Your input is appreciated.

One of the rads I have has a inlet that is 1" NPT, and an outlet that is between 1" NPT and 1 1/4" NPT.

Another unit has an inlet that is between 1 1/2" NPT and 2" NPT.