Water coming from BFP Vent

Old 10-08-14, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water coming from BFP Vent

I have read several posts on here on how to diagnose and fix the problem I am having, water coming from the back flow preventer vent. While I wade through them and figure out what I need to do I am wondering if I can install a drain on the vent? My hope is that temporarily I can remove the bucket, and long term I can have any future water directed towards a drain.

My BFP is installed vertically, it it matters. So I want to get a 90 degree fitting and attach a tube to a drain a few feet away.

Would it be okay to put use something like this, if I can find the correct sizes?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg

Thanks for you help!

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-14, 10:11 AM
Vertical install is OK on those (assuming it's a Watts 9DM3).

Forgive me for asking but why don't you just replace it and then not have a leak?

Old 10-08-14, 10:16 AM
I may end up replacing it, this is just a temporary fix for now until I determine if it needs to be. I did turn off the main water supply last weekend so I want' to check the pressures. Also, I have well water and am hoping I just have some crud keeping one of the valves open that I can clear out.

Old 10-08-14, 10:17 AM
You might get lucky and be able to clean it. If the fast-fill valve is working correctly it should act as a check valve and not let any water from the system out when you remove the backflow preventer.

Old 10-08-14, 10:28 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
There would be no problem installing a hose to take the water to a drain. It's not hot water, not under pressure... only a dribble...

Old 10-08-14, 10:49 AM
Thanks Trooper, it is only a dribble and is not hot.

Thanks Slade, I hope so.

Old 10-08-14, 12:53 PM
I have a shut off valve which i decided to try based on a post here. I shut it off, clockwise, and the water stopped. Will I be okay to keep that off for awhile? If so, how will I know if I am low on water in the system. It does not appear that I have a low water cutoff system.

The pressures look okay on the boiler, 12 and the well watertank, 26.

Old 10-08-14, 01:14 PM
NJT
Will I be okay to keep that off for awhile? If so, how will I know if I am low on water in the system.
Yes, as long as there are no leaks in the heating system, it shouldn't lose water and thus need refilling... DO keep an eye on the boiler pressure gauge. If you see it below 12 PSI, add a little water.

The pressure on the well tank has no connection with the boiler system... it does look a little low to me, but then the gauge could be kaput too. Typical pressure range for a well is between 40 and 60 PSI.

Old 10-09-14, 06:57 AM
So far so good on the leak with the valve off. I was reading the pressure gauge wrong, looking at ft of water instead of PSI. So it makes me think my pressure is too low. I don't have very high to go my house is one story + basement with radiant heat so it has to go up no more than 8 feet. Do you still think my cold pressure should be 12PSI?

I'll add the drain and clean the BFP and make whatever pressure adjustments need to be done on Saturday when I can better shut off the whole system.

Old 10-09-14, 03:44 PM
NJT
I was reading the pressure gauge wrong, looking at ft of water instead of PSI. So it makes me think my pressure is too low. I don't have very high to go my house is one story + basement with radiant heat so it has to go up no more than 8 feet. Do you still think my cold pressure should be 12PSI?
Yeah, 12 FEET is pretty low for a system pressure. That's only about 5 PSI.

Don't trust your pressure gauge... they lie.

Chances are that you would be OK with the lower pressure, but yes, the cold pressure should be 12 PSI. There are other reasons than height for that, but not going into them at this time.