Galvanized metal venting for Gas fired boiler

Old 10-08-14, 06:45 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Galvanized metal venting for Gas fired boiler

Could someone point me to a supplier of approved galvanized ductwork for venting residential gas fired burner, or at least a manufacturer or type of pipe to buy online. I have 50k Btu, Laars Minitherm II that I have decided to clean and in the process had to take apart some of the venting ductwork in order to get at the heat exchanger. Upon inspection, i have decided to replace parts that had some minor rust.
Home depot and lowe's only carry thin duct, less then 10mils(0.01"), that is not up to code. Apparently gauge 26 (0.019") or thicker is per ANSI Z223.1-9 "Venting of Appliances". I find that even other online suppliers of ducktwork for burners like HVAC & Plumbing Supply - SupplyHouse.com - Formerly Pex Supply do not provide specs on the gauges of galvanized vent pipe. How is one supposed to know if this is a code approved venting pipe?
Thanks

Old 10-09-14, 01:18 PM
G
Received 28 Upvotes on 27 Posts
Hart & Cooley is one manufacturer - they are on the website you linked us to. You want a Type B vent for your gas-fired unit. The minimum gauge depends upon the size of the pipe, but if you get Type B, the gauge will be correct.

At the big-box store, maybe you were looking a clothes dryer vents?

Old 10-09-14, 02:19 PM
NJT
Received 8 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I would try local plumbing and heating stores... or even a wood stove store...

Old 10-10-14, 07:43 AM
P
I was looking at the HVAC section and the section where the boiler parts were sold. That's where i got the expansion tanks and the pipe air-vent valves. Thanks guys. Luckily its only hand full of pieces. i will order replacement parts that are correct and use the lowes stuff for the dryer.

Old 10-11-14, 08:38 PM
P
So I went looking at Hart and Cooley and they don't even have close to what I need.
i need 7" to 6" reducer, two 7" to 4" reducers, 4" 90deg elbow and few feet of 4" straight. I might be dreaming to get 7" to 4" reducer so I realize that I might need to go 7" to 6" then 6" to 4" if this even exists. How did the previous owner have this done? Could these fittings have been custom made during instal? They looked like standard stuff you would buy at a store. I also went looking for type B vents online and its hard to get the above mentioned parts online.
Part of the problem might be that I have two 50k Btu boilers and one 125k Btu boiler all venting into 1 chimney with 7" vent. So 50kbtu boilers need to expand from 4" vent to 7" tee. 125kBtu boiler has 6" exhaust that need to mate with 7" Tee.
I will try the local plumbing supply, but a link to Type B vent fittings mentioned earlier would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-12-14, 06:59 AM
P
Granger has 26 Ga. galvanized pipe. They have a local branch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: