PEX and circulating pumps

Old 10-10-14, 06:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PEX and circulating pumps

First question, in St. Paul MN, is there a PEX pipe approved for hot water heating use? I've got to run pipe to a radiator I'm adding to the attic and it would be way easier to use PEX if I can. Second, that radiator would only be useful if my boiler had a circulating pump but I'm not 100% sure it has one. After refilling the system this summer, I did hear a brief gurgling sound at the boiler the instant heat was called for. At my old house, the pump was obvious on the outside of the boiler unit but this one has what might be the pump mounted inside and it just doesn't quite look like a pump. The unit is fairly new and has 1" copper piping coming from it so I guessed it wasn't convection anymore. Is there a positive way to identify a circulating pump?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-14, 06:58 AM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Tell us the make and model of the boiler please...............

Old 10-10-14, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's a Valliant, model GA92-100 EIVD. Upon looking for this info, a closer look would seem to indicate there is a red pump, which runs so smoothly I hardly know it's on. Provided the model info bears this out, any thoughts on the PEX piping?

Old 10-10-14, 04:47 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Vaillant no longer markets in the US and I can't find a manual. It's a pretty good bet that there is a pump inside, it's EXTREMELY unlikely to the point of nil that this is a 'gravity' system.

in St. Paul MN, is there a PEX pipe approved for hot water heating use?
PEX tubing is used routinely for heating applications. I can't comment on whether or not your local authority having jurisdiction allows it or not... I just don't know. I'm sure you can check with your local code officials for an answer to that. I don't think they'll say no.

PEX for heating systems has to have an OXYGEN BARRIER. It's 'special' for the purpose. So if you do run PEX, it must be the right stuff.

Is there a positive way to identify a circulating pump?
I guess you could take and post a picture of it....