Taco 571 zone valve

Old 10-10-14, 02:23 PM
Taco 571 zone valve

What is the failure rate for these zones (how long do they typically last)? I have four zones, Taco 571 valves. When my thermostat stops calling for heat the boiler often will ''click'' on and off several times before stopping firing. It only does it on one zone. This was similar to what happened last year so I swapped heads and the issue followed the zone valve head. I am guessing the end switch is going bad in it. The house is 10 years old and this is the second valve end switch that has went bad. So what is the service life of these valves? Should they be replaced preventively?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-14, 04:02 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not an authority or the pro here but I've worked with those valves in an apartment building. The hotter the temperature of water they control the faster they fail.

They'll fail faster on your supply piping then they will on the return side.

Old 10-11-14, 10:27 AM
NJT
I am guessing the end switch is going bad in it
Sounds like a good guess.

So what is the service life of these valves? Should they be replaced preventively?
Hard to say... seems the lifetime is all over the place... some give up their ghost in a few years, some last a long time.

If it were my system I would have a spare on the shelf to use when needed. I wouldn't take out a working valve just because it might fail in the next few years...

Old 10-11-14, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys. We do not heat our upstairs regularly so that one can be used for a spare if needed. I actually need to buy two and replace that one also.

Again thank for taking the time to post and pass your wisdom, I was able to trouble shoot and repair this in no time at all due to past info gathered.
Next on the list is to get a tech here to clean and tune as well as a few other small things. Gonna have them put in a valve and drain above the expansion tank, so I can check it regular. I could do it myself, but if they are already here shouldn't cost much at all to do.