water feed pump problem

Old 10-11-14, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water feed pump problem

I have a 15 year old Weil Mclein steam boiler in a 100 + year old house. Last spring the water feed pump did not seem to shut off properly and before I could address the problem it burnt the pump. The pump was replaced along with the Mc Donnell 42S pump control and low water cut off. It seemed to work properly however now that I had had the system running this fall the same problem is occurring. The pump seems to come on frequently even when the water level in the watch glass is high and run for 10 or 15 seconds. The last 2 mornings the pump has been running continuously with only a 1/4 inch or so of water seen in the watchglass and no steam. I really dont know anything about how the system works but I cant seem to find anyone local who can fix the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-14, 03:34 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
It would seem that the boiler water level control system is kaput. Best to call back the person who supposedly fixed it last spring. He should warrant his work, right?

Old 10-11-14, 04:17 PM
does anyone know what besides the Mc Donnell 42S pump control unit could be causing the problem ? changing the unit didnt solve the original problem.

Old 10-11-14, 06:10 PM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
The level detector? But, why not call the guy back?

Old 10-11-14, 08:29 PM
just trying to figure out what the problem is. Obviously he didn't and it cost me a lot of money. I will definitely be contacting him. Where is the level detector located?