Boiler not working

Old 10-12-14, 09:43 AM
Boiler not working

I have a Utica gas boiler from 1985 (I know it's old... It's a 150-AGB) with a Fill-Trol expansion tank. These were both working fine. Then I had the system drained and two radiators reinstalled after having floors redone. The guy that came out to reinstall and refill the tank said he spent the day here but was unable to get the boiler filled. (I was at work so I wasn't able to observe or ask questions).

Now I am trying to tackle this as I literally cannot afford to have someone else come out to do this

So I opened the drain on the boiler and water came out so there is at least something in there but the PSI is at 0. The intake pipe is open and I went around and bled all the radiators to get any air out. What am I missing? Everything is unplugged right now - does the electric need to be on for the PSI to register correctly?! Any advice? I have a bunch of pics, so once I figure out how to load them I will put them up. I really appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited by NJT; 10-12-14 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-14, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 28
Hello and welcome to the forum! I approved your post. Try not to include smilies that are not in the forum smilie list as that will cause your posts to need moderating!

Here's how to add pics: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...rt-images.html
You can also upload them to a pic hosting site and add the link here.

Old 10-12-14, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 3
You need to add 12-15 psi to the expansion tank... It must have no air.. The filtrols pressurize the boiler by how much pressure is in the tank...

Read operation instructions here...

http://www.amtrol.com/media/document...illTrol_IO.pdf

Old 10-12-14, 11:11 AM
Thanks so much. Do I add the PSI by just adding air? Can I just attach an air pump to the thing at the bottom that I would use to check the pressure?

Old 10-12-14, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
Thanks so much. Do I add the PSI by just adding air? Can I just attach an air pump to the thing at the bottom that I would use to check the pressure?
Yes and yes....

When you add air turn off water feed and drain boiler a little to 0 psi.. Then add 12-15 psi in the expanstion tank. When you turn on water feed boiler should fill to whatever psi you put in the tank..

If water comes out that shrader valve then the tank is shot..

If so you have other options...

Old 10-12-14, 12:11 PM
NJT
Upvotes Received: 1
Mike, why not just leave the water on and watch the boiler gauge until it gets to 12-15 PSI as the air is added?

(aside from the fact that the boiler gauge may not b accurate)

Old 10-12-14, 12:23 PM
You should probably use a bicycle pump to add air to the expansion tank. An air compressor may add too much before you stop filling it.

Old 10-12-14, 12:59 PM
NJT
If you do use an air compressor, GO SLOWLY!!! and if the compressor has a regulator, turn it down to 12 PSI before you start.

Old 10-12-14, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Mike, why not just leave the water on and watch the boiler gauge until it gets to 12-15 PSI as the air is added?
If you do use an air compressor, GO SLOWLY!!! and if the compressor has a regulator, turn it down to 12 PSI before you start.
Thats why... And if you every tried it that way its a PITA.. been there done that... ....Compressor fills too fast....

Old 10-12-14, 05:19 PM
NJT
See what ya mean...

I do use a compressor but do turn the regulator way down...

The small 'tire inflators' work good though, they feed slowly enough.

Old 10-13-14, 06:12 AM
I had an adapter made that I could screw on the sediment valve and used an air pig to recharge an expansion tank ,air over water type.

Old 10-13-14, 05:36 PM
You guys are amazing, this worked like a charm!!! It's so appreciated. For the record I used a bike pump to be safe. Wish I could somehow repay you!

Old 10-13-14, 05:58 PM
NJT
Glad ya got it going!

Wish I could somehow repay you!
You can... Pay It Forward. Random acts of kindness are good for you!