thermostat recommendation for hot water radiator? Nest?

Old 10-12-14, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thermostat recommendation for hot water radiator? Nest?

I know there's info out there,

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/bo...patible.html#b

Installing Nest in a 100-Year-Old House with Radiator Heating: A Guide/Review | Ambrose Little

but i wondered if anyone recommends the Nest thermostat for my situation.

I have a hot water radiator system with a simple T-stat. My main problem is that i can't change the temperature without it overshooting my set temp by 2-3 degrees. I understand why this is but with only 7 programmable steps per day this isn't really enough.

What i really need is lots of programmable time steps or some intellegence in firing my boiler (not just on and off). I assume this doesn't exist as most seem to say 7 steps per day and my t-stat just seems to fire the boiler non stop when below the set temp. It looks like the nest does what i'm after, learns how your system operates and applies enough heat signals to reach your desired temperature.

My other idea was to build a t-stat from an arduino setup but i don't exactly have the time for that.

cheers for any insight.

ps i'm not too worries about knocking although i have had some of that.

oman

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-14, 09:06 PM
NJT
Received 3 Votes on 2 Posts
I have a hot water radiator system with a simple T-stat. My main problem is that i can't change the temperature without it overshooting my set temp by 2-3 degrees.
How 'simple' is your thermostat?

What make/model is it?

Have you had the cover off of it yet? Is there a dial inside that says 'anticipator' on it? If so, have you tried setting it to 'shorter' cycles?

Old 10-13-14, 07:03 AM
I have found that if the room over shoots set temperature it can be corrected by reducing the boiler water temperature , which also will save fuel. An outdoor reset will make the adjustments for you to keep it in step with the outside temperature.

Old 10-13-14, 08:15 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Newer digital thermostats will have settings for temp swing or what's called anticipation. Some will actually adapt to your home automatically.

I also agree 100% with what saves has said. If you lots of radiation, you most likely are running a little on the hot side and can save some $$$ on heating costs if you lower the water temperature of the system.

Old 10-13-14, 07:24 PM
Thanks Guys,

I have a UPM Thermostat (probably UPM-301 - sorry i was so brief before - it was late). This seems to be a 2 wire system and i'm not sure if my old Slant Fin boiler GG75HYPED has the option for more (this may be a better link but i believe i have the vintage option).

I popped open the thermostat but i don't see a anticipator setting. I did a quick 10 min burn on my boiler and the temperature only rose to 30 C but perhaps if it was left for longer it would get to 40 C. I'll look into how to set it. What is a typical setting for Toronto Canada (Buffalo?).

I'll try and do some more investigation myself to see what's possible with my setup.

cheers
oman

Last edited by oman4eva; 10-13-14 at 07:37 PM. Reason: updated slant fin link
Old 10-14-14, 05:01 PM
The honeywell thermostats will adjust to how your system works. You don't need to spend the money on a Nest.

Old 10-14-14, 05:10 PM
Throw a boiler control on your system. You do not need an expensive stat to try to force your boiler to turn on and off.
Sounds to me like your boiler is too big and the water temps do not track the load well. Of course this time of year there is not much load.
So may not even be heating yet....