Aquastat Honeywell L8148E "clicking"

Old 10-13-14, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Aquastat Honeywell L8148E "clicking"

Ther relay on my Honeywell Aquastat L8148e continuously clicks and arcs. Does anyone have an idea why this would occur? Can the relay be replaced without replacing the entire Aquastat?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-14, 07:21 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Ther relay on my Honeywell Aquastat L8148e continuously clicks and arcs. Does anyone have an idea why this would occur? Can the relay be replaced without replacing the entire Aquastat?
Sounds like a wiring problem.

No, you would need a new aquastat, but it's likely not that.

Turn power off to the boiler, remove the wire from the B1 terminal to the gas valve. Put some tape on the wire or otherwise make sure it doesn't short to something else.

Turn power back on to the boiler and see if you still get the clicking and arcing.

(Burner will NOT light because gas valve is disconnected.)

If you DON'T have the same problem with the clicking, you MIGHT have a bad gas valve.

Do you own and know how to use a multimeter?

What is the make and model of the boiler?

Old 10-14-14, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I removed the wire from terminal B1. When I turned the power on there was no clicking. I shut the power off, pluged the wire back in and turned the power on. The clicking resumed for about 10 seconds and then stopped. Unfortunately the damper does not appear to have opened and the boiler did not light. I waited several minutes. The circulator pump for the zone requesting heat turned on.

I do have a meter and very basic skills. The boier is a Burnham and it is about 5 years old.

Old 10-14-14, 03:20 PM
NJT
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Which model Burnham, and what is the model number on the gas valve?

Here are a few scenarios:

1. It's possible that the gas valve has a shorted coil OR the wiring to the gas valve is shorted together. Further, it's possible that the transformer in the aquastat is now fried from the short.

When you removed the wire from B1 and the clicking stopped, you should not have put it back on and allowed the clicking to continue.

2. Possibly there is a cracked solder connection in the aquastat where the relay is soldered to the PC board.

Let's do some testing with your multimeter:

First, turn power off to the boiler. Leave the wires connected to B1 and B2.

Set your meter to read OHMS. Touch the two meter leads together and see that the meter reads ZERO or very close to it. (testing the meter and the leads first).

Place the probes on the B1 and B2 terminals in the aquastat and tell me what you read.

This is a test to determine if the gas valve or wiring is shorted.

Next, turn the power to the boiler back on. Make sure the thermostat is turned all the way DOWN.

WARNING! 120VAC inside the aquastat! BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU TOUCH! YOU CAN BE KILLED!

Set your meter to read AC VOLTS.

CAREFULLY so as not to touch ANYTHING BUT the TV and Z terminals tell me what voltage you read on those terminals.

This is a test to determine if the transformer in the aquastat is still working.

I'll probably have more things to check after this, but I need this information first.