Some boiler questions

Old 10-16-14, 07:13 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Some boiler questions

• original 30yr old gas fired boiler
  • 1300 square feet with a 1300 sq. ft. basement (unfinished, although eventually it will be finished).
  • House has baseboard heat, 3 zones (basement, living area, master bed).

As you can see by the pictures, it hasn't been well taken care of. This will be our second winter in the house, and replacing the boiler is on the short list for next year. That being said, I've had 2 quotes for replacement. I've done plenty of reading regarding the different types, and getting a heatloss calc done. Both of these contractors stated with this type of heat, it's not necessary, and they'd just replace it with another 100k BTU boiler. They also said going with high efficiency (above 85) isn't worth the ROI for this type of boiler. Kind of against most of the stuff I've read on the internet.

While he was here I had him "service" the boiler. Which consisted of wire brushing the tubes and looking at the pressure gauges. Just seemed ludicrous for the cost associated with the service provided. I won't be paying for that service again.

Should I keep getting quotes from other contractors, or are they right? Is a boiler replacement something that's able to be DIY? It seems pretty brainless as far as an install. I was also looking for indirect water heater replacement when I do the boiler, as it's 10 yrs old.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-14, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
1300 square feet with a 1300 sq. ft. basement (unfinished, although eventually it will be finished).
1300 sq ft = roughly 32500 btu Add the basement and say 6300 btu..

original 30yr old gas fired boiler
Thats a mess and you should replace this year. Get that flue corrected asap where the water heater enters the elbow...

You have CO detectors in the home??? This can be potentially dangerous. The water heater may not be drafting properly. Young children are specifically affected by low levels of CO where the detectors dont even go off. Developmental issues are known to exist..

While he was here I had him "service" the boiler. Which consisted of wire brushing the tubes and looking at the pressure gauges. Just seemed ludicrous for the cost associated with the service provided. I won't be paying for that service again.
Really???? Are those pics after the service!!!!!

If so get your money back asap....

Both of these contractors stated with this type of heat, it's not necessary, and they'd just replace it with another 100k BTU boiler.
WRONG!! Why have an oversized boiler short cycle... Size properly period...

They also said going with high efficiency (above 85) isn't worth the ROI for this type of boiler. Kind of against most of the stuff I've read on the internet.
That is true IMO. Guess it depends how good the salesman is...LOL.. Sometimes HE units are OK if you are severely over radiated and you can stay in condensing mod... Otherwise standard boiler all the way...

What type of baseboard??? Cast iron? Copper finned?? And if you can tell us how many feet of element only does the baseboard have on each zone??? Not the cover lengths, the actual element inside the covers...

Should I keep getting quotes from other contractors, or are they right? Is a boiler replacement something that's able to be DIY? It seems pretty brainless as far as an install. I was also looking for indirect water heater replacement when I do the boiler, as it's 10 yrs old.
Yes, but we can guide you on what may be best for you. we know what works. Then when you get quotes from contractors you tell them what you want per what we suggest. Then have them give you a price...

We are here to help and have helped countless # of DIY'ers...

Old 10-16-14, 07:40 AM
T
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
The issues appear to be more plumbing related, rather then the boiler itself. I would address those issues immediately, most of which appear to be DIY if you're handy. The system appears to have had or still has quite a few leakage areas. It seems it's coming from simple areas like valve stems and the air vent. I'll bet that expansion tank is shot too. All easily replaced and relatively inexpensive too.
If the boiler's heat exchanger was clean and is in good shape along with the burners, then replacing it, although might be worth wile in the long run, might not be an immediate issue.

Old 10-16-14, 07:59 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That vent piping needs a wye correct? Or do they need to be in completely separate vents?

Yes, multiple CO2 around that area and in every room. No children.

Element is copper tube with fins. I'll get the element lengths measured tonight and report back. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-16-14, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
That vent piping needs a wye correct? Or do they need to be in completely separate vents?
A Y or seperate..

The HWH flue looks hardly pitched first off. Should of installed a lowboy, or installed HWH flue in chimney above boiler flue...

Really???? Are those pics after the service!!!!!

If so get your money back asap....
Can you answer this? If it has been serviced can you take some recent pics?